Contemplating a New PC

Tonar

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have seen, if you want to run BOB you will need at least a 3gb CPU so what Stingray says is essentially correct. The only reason I say essentailly is that I wanted to prove to you all I can spell it; some of the time. The other requirements are a 512mb graphics card and 2 gb of RAM.

That's some good info.

I too am seriously contemplating getting the components as I can afford them, then building a decent rig.

Could really use some help figuring out where to start & what to get from those around here who know a great deal more than me. :-\

I once tried to put a larger hard drive in a computer & messed things up so bad I still had to have someone more knowledgeable bail me out. So the prospect of building one from scratch is quite frightening for this techtard. The cheap ba$tage inside me keeps telling me I can do it myself though.

I'm with most of the guys here, my only addition is about the power supply, I would go for at least 600W as power supplies tend to be most efficient and reliable at 50% to 80% of capacity and it's nice to have overhead for later expansion. And get a good one! clean, steady power is a computers best friend.

SlI means you can run two Nvidia cards on your comp.

Crossfire means two ATI cards.

Of the two boards here I would go with the cheaper board. The other thing you have to watch out for is the type of RAM the board uses. The standards are now DDR2 or DDR3. DDR2 is cheaper but DDR3 is faster. If you can supply links for the two boards we can tell you more.

Not sure about PCI Express and PCI E 2.

:bg:

Here is what I am Totalling up so far:

Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports

Intel DG35EC Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor 3.0GHz

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory

Yo... yes, the costs sure do add up quickly... :)

If I understand this site correctly:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... erview.htm

The DG35EC motherboard is a micro-ATX form factor, which is designed for very small form factor PC's using the micro-ATX (or mATX) power supply and case specifications. 

Just a quick note on video cards: for a number of years I have been nVidia only, but ATI's latest offering of the 4850 and 4870 line is awesome: better performance than nVidia, lower power requirements, lower heat and generally cheaper.

My new machine is similar to what Stingray put up, except in a Cooler Master 690 case with which I'm very satisfied... of course, my only point of comparison was my previous beige crapbox so I'd probably be happy with anything.

Also agree with Stingray re: the 4850 and 4870. I have the former (as does OldTimer) and we were both able to get the fan speeded up so don't heed any warnings about overheating it- once the fan is "functional" temps are not really an option and they're a sinch to OC through the CCC.