Hardware Heaven?

Oldtimer

Hey Oldtimer,

I've just placed an order for the following:

XP home

Foxconn X38A

E8400 3.0 GHz 6MB

Crucial 2X1 GB DDR3 1600 CL8-8-8-20

WD Raptor 74GB (I will be adding the HDDs I have in my current machine)

Diamond Viper 3870

In a CoolerMaster 690 case w/ Seasonic 600W PSU.

So we will have relatively similar machines (you'll have the better vid-card, obviously), it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Are you planning to overclock?

Steady on there C_G!

Building the thing will be a major step into the wild unknown - overclocking is a bit down the line yet. I am hoping that the performance difference over a 1.8Gz Sempron, 1Gb RAM (400Mhz?) and an AGP 6800 ultra will be so vast that overclocking won't be necessary yet.

Hey Oldtimer,

I've just placed an order for the following:

XP home

Foxconn X38A

E8400 3.0 GHz 6MB

Crucial 2X1 GB DDR3 1600 CL8-8-8-20

WD Raptor 74GB (I will be adding the HDDs I have in my current machine)

Diamond Viper 3870

In a CoolerMaster 690 case w/ Seasonic 600W PSU.

So we will have relatively similar machines (you'll have the better vid-card, obviously), it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Are you planning to overclock?

How'd you get that past the wife?

How's the next baby coming along?

Two words: "business expense" :)

@OT-

I too am expecting a nice boost. Current rig is:

AMD Barton XP2500 OC'd to XP3000 (2GHz)

ATI X850pro

1 gig of Ram

It's a crime to have this chip and not OC (it's a VERY good overclocker by all accounts)... Once I've got it up and running I'd be glad to walk you through it, as we have similar components I'll be able to be quite specific.

As for child #2: it may very well be tonight! Wife had some "show" and is having mild contractions... 

It's a crime to have this chip and not OC (it's a VERY good overclocker by all accounts)... Once I've got it up and running I'd be glad to walk you through it, as we have similar components I'll be able to be quite specific.

Thank you for the offer Sir!

I have the feeling that I will be haunting this particular board for some time, annoying all and sundry with daft questions.....

So, I installed an Audigy 2 sound card in the current heap of junk to increase fps to playable levels.

The new build is pretty much finished, and without any major trauma!

I used the ATI auto tune to overclock the 4850 from 500 to 690 (GPU) and 750 to 1153 (Mem) and have been playing around with in-game settings.

The old rig - Sempron 3000, 1Gb DDR 400, 6800 Ultra gave 48 max, 32 av 0 min on the BD track with 1024x768 res, water 0 and no AA or AF.

So far the new one with same res, water 1, effects 2, 4xAA a 8AF gives 70 av 185 max 17 min.

All I have to do now is find some time to fly.

Yeah, that's why I did. Just kept cranking things up & up.

You've got the same Graphics card as mine, I think. So I've got my water set to 4. Give it a go, I don't think it will trouble your PC/card at all.