Keeping up with the Rattlers' & Deltas'

GreyKnight

Well since Rattler & Delta7 kicked off this little mini modelling boom, I thought I'd thought I'd join in.

I have 4 model kits sat on my shelf, some for ages. So now I'm going to start one.

First off, a cheap and cheerfull little 1/72 scale Airfix Bf-109 G6 -

BoxCover.jpg

A modelling skill of level 1 required it says in the bottom right hand corner. So I JUST qualify.

A have a soft spot for Airfix, since their customer service sent me a replacement part from another kit, all the way here to Austria, for FREE. Just before the company went under.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ GK,

I remember building that exact same kit when I was in Singapore, aged 8, (that would be 1969 !! LOL).

I had just been taken to see "The Battle of Britain" by my step dad so it had to be done.

Funny thing is, (as with alot of the Airfix kits), they used the same box/packet art for over 30 years !!

Happy building M8 !!

~S~ Timeless.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I remember building that exact same kit when I was in Singapore, aged 8, (that would be 1969 !! LOL).

OT but when I lived in Singapore, in 66, I was guilty of throwing my large scale Spitfire off a balcony.

It hit the baker, knocking his tray off is head.

I thought the box was a bit dusty when I picked it up in the model shop. ;)

The next pics are after I built it and gave it a base coat of silver. It went together really well I found -

Undercoated2.jpg

As you can tell from this next picture, you spot the first... discrepancy. The engine cowling bulges are joined together in one big blob, instead of being two distinct circles on either side. It makes the model look like it's wearing one of those nose strips you often see sportsmen wear.

Undercoated.jpg

I read an article on the internet about creating really good paint chip effects. The guy undercoated the model in silver, then got some really salty water and painted drops on the leading edges etc. Then after you've painted the base colours, you just rub off the dried salt to reveal the metal colour underneath.

I was going to do that, but found I had over done it when I looked at the end. So I just washed off the salt and now I plan to paint the silver chipping on at the end.

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the base blue colour done.

• 3 months later...

Cheers guys. The thing was I watched all of Brett Green's videos off YouTube, on how to build a great model, the only thing was that all his work was all done on a 1/32 scale Bf-109. So when I tried to replicate his tips on my 1/72 one, some things just didn't work.

I must of sprayed at least 6 coats of paint on that fuselage trying to get the mottling right. I love airbrushing, it lets you get away with things like that.

@ Delta - I have 2x 1/48 scale Bf-109s on my shelf (a G10 & a G14) but I want to do a G2 next instead.