Has Windows 10 Fixed The Controller Id Problem Yet?

Snacko

I have been seeing more ads for Win10 lately and wondered if they have fixed the Controller ID swapping problem?

Also, I heard that Saitek has released some Beta Drivers.  Has anyone tested them?  Specifically for the x55?

Trying to decide if it's time to think about upgrading.  I know I'll have to by some new versions of some software, but want to make sure that is the only problems I'll have..

Thx,

Snack

• 1. DDz Quorum

After initial upgrade/install of W10, let it do all its updates (I can see some 50+ already on my system!).

Make sure all drivers are okay (some may need/a W10 driver available, I had to download stuff for my printers and for my Roccat Kave headset)

Keep rebooting ... once everything is kinda neat and tidy, check the GameController ID's, and boot some more... :headbang:  

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators
Well, apart from Jabo, he's suffering from swapping ID's at boot... I am convinced it's something special about his system...

Well, special is as special does FT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

How did you fix them Steve?  

Have you had any other problems?

When I first started IL2 after installing 10 I saw that my Saitek controllers weren't functioning as usual because the IDs on the HOTAS controls had been changed, nothing else, HOTAS only. I went into the game settings for controls and reassigned them. I had to do this twice and they have stayed assigned ever since. I have had a strict USB plugin sequence for years for the game and I stick to that...I have no problems now. I have a strict sequence because I have two Saitek lever quadrants and unless I plug them in and profile them in order my controls are swapped.

The only issue 10 has given my PC after installing, although it is a very small one, is USB IDs. All I had to do was unplug the hardware and put them back in the same USB slot. 10 recognised everything and updated drivers itself, although no new drivers were needed for anything Saitek. I was running 7.1 before so I was pretty much up to date.

Ok, thanks.

The reason that I was concerned with the controller ids, is for DCS mainly.  You cannot just swap controllers once.  You have to do it for every aircraft, which is a big hassle as I have probably more than 10.

I backed up my pc, and getting ready to install 10.

Does anyone know, if you ever have to reinstall Windows, .. say in a year from now, .. will you still be able to upgrade to Win10?  I have read that the free upgrade is only for 1 year.  So, I am also upgrading a basic windows 7 backup that I have just in case I have to do a total reinstall someday.

• 2. Administrators

You can use the media thingy you used for the upgrade to download an ISO image of the software you can burn to a DVD. If you have upgraded to windows 10 before you can reinstall again without needing a licence key.

What a waste of time!!  ARGG!!  I downloaded the MS tool (gwxwebwindows.exe) to upgrade, and all it does when I run it is open my browser to the MS Win 10 page.  Nothing else.  That is where it says to download that tool.  So, I guess you download that too, to open up that page, so you can download that tool again.  Nice..  3 times is enough.

So, I searched other websites and found the Media tool.  I dl the ISO and burn it to DVD.  Installing within windows it wants a key (there is NO skip button).  I don't have a Win 10 key.  So, I try my win 7 key, ... no good.  So more research on the net says I need to boot from the dvd to start the install to get it to skip the key stuff.  So, I do that, and it starts to install, it lets me SKIP the Windows 10 Key,..  then says to remove the DVD media and boot into windows to continue the install.  Ok...  So it looks like I'm good..  It says to put the DVD back in when I get into windows 7 and it tries to continue, but it want's that stupid key again.  (no skip button).  

So, at this point, I'm thinking this ISO upgrade is fubar, and I'm just going to use the normal Upgrade option...

I have installed my basic setup install with Win 10 Pro x64 and backed up that partition.  A few tweaks; an Acronis True Image upgrade for Win10, and so, now am restoring my normal system backup and going to upgrade that now.  

• 1. DDz Quorum

The ISO should work, and will work. 

I created a bootable USB stick from it, and upgraded my system using that stick...

Me thinks something went wrong with selecting your installation type, maybe combined with selecting your installation/upgrade partition?
Or, maybe indeed it was the ISO. But, to really understand what went wrong, there's too little info.

I do remember having similar issues on my initial install of W10 on a test-system ... but reading carefully... and doing the sensible thing ... (like upgrading instead of freshly installing)  in the end it worked fine, and fast too!

Nasty stuff, if it is this troublesome ...

I also think there was something wrong with the ISO.  I never got to a point to select a partition.  I selected the 64bit Win 10 Pro to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium.  Maybe that was the problem.  But it should have said no, you can't do that if it's a problem.

But when I just did the normal 'Upgrade my computer' it now says I am running Windows 10 Home.  I never had any choice of which OS version.

• 2. Administrators

Well, firstly you've got the wrong installer package - I'll link the right one to you when I get to the PC tomorrow (remind me if I forget - bit...erm...tipsy right now) - secondly you can't upgrade win 7 home premium to win 10 pro - that only works for win 7 pro or ultimate. Win 7 home basic and win 7 home premium both upgrade to win 10 home.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well, firstly you've got the wrong installer package - I'll link the right one to you when I get to the PC tomorrow (remind me if I forget - bit...erm...tipsy right now) - secondly you can't upgrade win 7 home premium to win 10 pro - that only works for win 7 pro or ultimate. Win 7 home basic and win 7 home premium both upgrade to win 10 home.

Ah, brilliant, that explains all the troubles indeed!

I missed that, but, in my defense, I was sober!!   :shaunhb:  

Yes, well that does explain it.  I didn't see anything that said you could't upgrade from home to pro.  That seems crazy that you could do that I know, but hey...  Microsoft is GIVING away Windows 10 for FREE!  So, we are no officially living in Bizzaro World anyway..  But I am sure there is a catch..  Bill will get more billions somehow!

So, I guess I'll try and burn a new iso when I find the time.  Just for a backup.  But I have my True Image backup of a basic Win7 upgrade to 10 now.  So, I should be fine.

• 2. Administrators

Copy the path below into the file browser;

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

This folder holds all the programs that run at startup - just copy the TrackIR shortcut into the folder and Robert is your mother's brother.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Run Regedit, navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

And add a new string value, (REG_SZ), named trackIR, and with the name and path of the executable as value.

Should work, that's how my Roccat Kave audio panel is being started...

I tried the start menu way, but that didn't work.  Do you have that working???

TrackIR itself writes to the registry, like most programs do, and puts an entry in either the Local Machine Run, or Current User Run.  And it had it's entry in there, but it didnt' work.  What I've read was there was some Permissions issue with the .exe.

But I just put an entry in the WoW6432Node that FT mentioned, and to my surprise, that seems to work.  What is that WoW?  I've seen that before, but not sure what it is...

Thanks guys!

• 2. Administrators

I haven't tried it myself, but my computer is used for lots of things besides gaming and I don't want loads of things starting up unnecessarily. Thought it might be an option as works that way in Win 8.