Mother Board And Cpu Replacement

rox

Is this a straightforward thing? I have a Gigabyte MOBO that's 8 years old, LGA 775 socket. I'll be replacing that with this:

http://www.adm.hr/product_info.php?cPath=258_217_214_352&products_id=11917

and this:

http://www.adm.hr/product_info.php?cPath=258_217_255_371&products_id=11435

And buying a new set of RAM as well since my DDR2 obviously won't go into the new board.

I've never changed a MOBO before, what I'm asking is if replacing the MOBO is a straightforward thing, like just unplugging the hard drives, graphics card and other stuff and plugging it into the new board with the new CPU and RAM, or is there more to it, like fiddling with BIOS and the OS and whatnot? (BIOS is pretty alien to me)

That and, are all mother boards of roughtly equal dimensions? As in, will it fit into my PC case, or do I need to like, take measurements or something?

Any insight appreciated. :)

I do it regularly, with my one hand, and, yes, it's pretty easy as far as the physical side is concerned. However, if you plan to use your old gear, esp. hard-drive, without either formatting and re-installing Windows, or removing all product drivers before the installation, you may run into some trouble.

The motherboard you are looking at is not really a good deal. It has Intel, built-in graphics which are of no use to you. It does have PCI-Express x16 slots, so you will be able to run modern graphics card(s) but a SATA 3 rating would be useful if you decide to buy into the modern SSD culture.

Take a look at your existing system and take note of its full specs, and post them up. Motherboard model number, so that its size will be revealed, ie ATX, or micro ATX. Graphics card model and so on. You might have an AGP card instead of a PCI-E type. Run a DXDIAG and post the text file, too.

Thanks Brando.

Nah I have an gtx 560 which is PCI-E.

Mobo is Gigabyte P35-DS3L

CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4ghz

BIOS version/date: Award Software International Inc. F5 9/7/2007

SMBIOS version: 2.4

OS is Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

No idea about hard drives but they're 7-ish years old as well, if not older, one is a Maxtor.

DDR2 Corsair ram, I know I'll have to replace this.

As for the MOBO I want to buy, as I'm buying an overclockable CPU I was told to get a board that supports this, and was recommended the one I linked to. If there is a cheaper option with the same function I'm all for it, however I don't want anything no name/bottom end. Also I was under the impression that all mother boards have an integrated graphics unit?

I really, really don't want to have to reinstall Windows. What kind of complications am I looking at and how likely are they?

• 2. Administrators

Just my personal opinion Rox, but I'd stay away from asus boards, I had lots of trouble with my last one. Now using the gigabyte ga-z77-ds3h. Supports sata 3, usb 3, has a suitable slot for your gfx card, runs rock solid and overclocks just as easily as the asus. Team that with an I5 processor (make sure it's a 'k' series if you want to overclock - sandybridge is the 2500k, newer ivybridge is the 3570k). I'd also consider at least one new hdd, 7 years plus is quite a good age if you're using the machine regularly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Woah that's loads cheaper, I'll likely take that one then. My budget is extremely stretched by this upgrade so this is more than welcome. I have heard before that Asus is somewhat overpriced.

And yes that's the CPU I'm getting as per the OP, I have no idea about overclocking currently and don't plan it but I want to have the possibility of doing it in the future if I feel like I want or need it.

And good to know about the OS. I loathe OS reinstalling to the heavens.

• 2. Administrators

Arthur has had a good result recently when after changing the mobo, windows 7 sorted the drivers and everything out for him but I suggest that before you start taking anything to pieces, please ensure that you have backed up any important data and that you've uninstalled any mobo drivers too. Then put the new board in, reconnect the psu and any other hardware, then boot into windows. Pop the mainboard driver disk in and install the driver pack for the new board and you should be good to go. If it craps out well, you've backed everything up so reinstall windows and you're away.

Freud facepalm? Love it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4