B16Enk's new family member

B16Enk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thought I'd share this with you guys.

As some of you may know and/or recall I had a Red Fronted Macaw fly into my garden, I was able to coax it out of the tree and it lived with us for nearly four weeks before being re-united with it's 'owner'.

Since then I have helped the UK charity for distressed/abused/homeless parrots.

On Saturday we picked up an 8 yr old African grey called Pepe, her 'owners' had suffered a business loss, and subsequent bancruptcy, and are now living in rented accomodation that prohibits pets.

Pepe had been placed with their son, also in a rented flat, and he had been ordered to rehome Pepe by his landlord.

Saturday at 12:00 an emotional meeting took place when I drove over to pick up Pepe, thought to be a male and known to be very shy of new people.

Pepe took an instant liking to me!

By 14:30 we were home and she (to be confirmed by DNA) had pair bonded with me, and was happily sitting on my shoulder demanding head tickles!!

She has since relaxed and is now treating us to her extensive repertoire of sounds and voices.

They range from very tuneful human like whistles, a good impression of a canary singing, a smoke alarm with a dying battery (which freaks out our Belgian Shepherd) and an impressive array of belches...as well as an assortment of phrases in a woman's voice (hello when I put a 'phone to my ear).

She also did an impressive wolf-whistle when she saw my wife naked :icon_lol:.

When we laughed at her belches last night she started laughing with us, an exact copy of my laugh!!!

Spooky....

Some pics:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

2_568f960e4c0910f3691cb13710a3bb30

2_d80f810164801a43f1b8ffcfcbc82c67

2_91b5d5a91c5f2e0d2ed93fc6219102a5

2_e0574710f5272a2d8f731a4cb1117163

2_40070dc4c7b2c45337510cc6b3fc7610

• 1. DDz Quorum

wouldn't it be creepy if it listened in on TS and started to copy Psycho's laugh?

That can be arranged ;)

last night we had immense fun with her, and had a conversation of sorts full of laughter, whistled tune fragments, belches and impressions of kitchen implements.

Would appear that her protracted cage time meant that her flock calls were met with sounds from the kitchen, and she mimics them as a response.

Plate scraping is not my favourite...

I think it is fitting that a fellow aviator, and one who flies for real, should be our mascot.

We read of a Cockatoo (a very big parrot that will also live 70 years or more) that has recently been rescued after spending 51 years caged. Never let out. Poor bloody thing never experienced flight or companionship.

Congrats on the new family member!

I saw a show once and it showed this amazing African grey that was trained like a child. This bird had to ask for food if it was hungry, ask for water when it was thirsty, could tell shapes, colors, and different colored shapes! The last thing they showed was them putting the bird to bed and the handlers said "good night", turned and started to walk out of the room. The bird then replied " good night, I love you and will miss you". It was very amazing and it showed that us as humans should have more respect for the abilities of our animal friends.

• 1. DDz Quorum

African Greys are amazing birds. One of the most, if not the most, intelligent of the avian species. I believe they live quite a long time as well, don't they?

All of the psittacines have surprising longevity, the larger ones (greys and macaws) are known to live for an average of 50 years, with 70 being seen from time to time with some of the larger Macaws.

Humbling to know such intelligence abounds and is so often over looked by our superior species.

And yes they are more than able to communicate in our terms which they have to learn, with our 'superior' intelligence we should be spending more time on understanding them rather than getting them to understand us...

I could go on, but I have to confess to having only recently discovered this species and their abilities, and am in a arguably revelatory position and likely to start preaching in areas of which I have to confess to have but seedling knowledge. Such is the way of the new convert....