Burma Spitfires - Update

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

According to a press release from the IWM Lambeth and David Cundall, the operation to unearth 36 Mk14 Spitfires buried since 1945 in Burma is expected to begin in the first weeks of January 2013 with the first aircraft (hopefully) a few days later. 17 people including UK archaeologists, academics from the University of Leeds and an American film crew will fly out to the location at Mingaladon airfield in Burma during December.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Not yet. David cundall was on the beeb this morning talking about it, and it's on one or two news websites apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*** EDIT - And Rox beat me to it! ***

Ah....I see. Not really a press release from the IWM then. They just interviewed him at the Imperial War Museum. An important difference. Another example of how everything about this story hangs on just one thing. The word of David Cundall. Still not one single shred of physical evidence has been released into the public domain. Notice how none of the journo's who have interviewed him have any idea how to ask the really relevent questions like "who are your witnesses and can we see their evidence?" or "The RAF kept extensive records, how come no one can account for any missing serial numbers for these aircraft?" or even "Do you really think the Commander in Chief of South-East Asia would interest himself in the disposal of some scrap at a time where he's just being appointed the last Viceroy of the British Raj?".

An example of the power that magic word "Spitfire" still has me thinks.

• 2. Administrators

As I understand it, the '17 will not be fully restored, but instead 'as found' (hopefully the right way up though) with a minimum of work done to stabilise the airframe (much like the Halifax and Hurricane at Hendon).

Well, now I'm confused...I was referring to the defiant's less than glittering service record (definitely not the bravery of the crews)

Bravery of the crews? Certainly in no doubt. I think Mr. P is referring to my deep seated cynicism over this whole story. I really, really can't see any Spitfires in boxes being found down there. Crushed artifacts from long-ago bulldozed surplus or damaged aircraft........possibly.

This story is much more about how our modern media works or perhaps dosen't work than mere aeroplanes.

• 2. Administrators

I dunno, I really hope there are 'new' spitfires there, after all we're talking about nearly doubling the world population if they're all airworthy but I suspect that even if they were buried in their original crates etc etc, its doubtful they've stood up to the ravages of time and annual monsoons that well.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chasps,

@ Arthur....... I fully expect the pilots to still be sat there in the cockpits complaining " we either take off or blow up !!!" :P

One aircraft restoration company has said it might cost between 2 and 3 million(£) to restore any and each Spitfire, that seems a bit steep to me considering the potential value afterwards ?

I am going to keep thinking positively until either they start one up or pour them from their crates ! LOL

~S~ P.

• 2. Administrators

Bah, anyone ever been in a monsoon in that area before, i have. Fat chance of anything being left after 70 odd of them imo, but i suppose there's always a slim chance while there still in the ground.....

• 1 month later...

No Spitties buried in crates all these years? Quelle surprise!! Ah well, it was good fun while it lasted.

However, every story has a silver lining and in this case they are;

a) I will not have to eat my TrackIr hat and,

B) If I recall correctly, Painless now owes BadAim £5 - to be handed over at Duxford. :thumbsu:

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

Gutted !! Do you have any idea how many paperclips I could have bought with that £5 ? It's all those negative vibes that have scuppered this dig LOL

I expect Mr Cameron is wondering why he spent so much time talking about Spits on his recent visit to Burmah unless...........

I still hope there are some to be found out there and I hope he keeps looking.

~S~ Painless.

• 2. Administrators

Digging in the wrong place? Seriously?

I don't see the picture having changed all that much. David Cundall thinks they're there and the archaeologists think they're not. Still no conclusive proof one way or another.

Jabo