Airfix Lightning 1/48

delta7

Here is my completed airfix 1/48th EE lightning, built using eduard etch and quickboost seat.

Paint is humbril 11 spray and revell acrylic for the blue

The kit is excellent, one of my favourites that I have built, I had no alignment issues and its only let down by the front wheel well which is oval and the fuselague gap is square, a bit of plastic stretched spruce filled the gap.

Decals are excellent to use

The quickboost seat is too big and needed a lot of trimming to fit

the eduard etch is very good

It finished product isnt the best to say the least , I had a bit of a disaster during the spraying, as it is a big kit and uniform in colour I used halfords paint, but instead of my usual nissen silver I decided to try chrome - which wouldnt dry, so after 3 days I decided a hairdrier would speed things up , it didnt , all I did was slightly melt the rear tail area so this is slightly distorted.

I also knocked off the tail planes and missiles when handling so the joins arnt great there.

So while Im slightly dissapointed I still think it looks ok in the display cabinet and Ill definatly do another

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1620.jpg

DSCN1621.jpg

DSCN1622.jpg

DSCN1623.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Aw man....!

I came dashing in here expecting to find a P-38 model and just get a blinkin' English Electric! :unsure:;):lol:

Well despite my disappointment, very nicley done Delta; the finish is excellent, Silver paint is merciless in highlighting any flaws, marks or partial gluey thumbprints as I well know, so nice work! Shame about the drying incident, but I didn't spot the tail till you pointed it out and even then it's no ruiner.

Just make sur the next one's got twin booms eh? ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Dave ,

One of my all time favorite aircraft ! I bet it is big in 32nd. Sorry to hear about your "unfortunate moments" during the build but we all have them ;) For you it was hair dryers for me it was candles LOL

The jet pipes are particularly good I thought.

~S~ Painless.

Nice work, Dave. Isn't silver a bloody nightmare!? I built a monogram 1/8 scale '65 corvette when I was a kid in a two tone metallic blue and silver scheme. I still have nightmares! I'll stick to tanks and trucks, thank you.

thanks guys

It is one of my favourite planes, I remember my dad taking me up to an airshow at leuchers and watching a pair go vertical at the end of the runway and just dissapear.

He would take me up there once a year to watch them as they did touch and goes and scrambles , a fantastic sight and sound.

@painless the pipes are done by painting tamiya smoke over the silver.

@rattler I dont think they regularly carried overwing tanks; it was only on ferry duties really

@badaim , the silver is from a rattlecan and worked well , in fact Iv used automotive rattlecans before and they work well , I just didnt read the instructions on this one, the paint was for decorative purposes and wasnt suitable for handling so I should have read the can before use