Intel Quad Core

Blairgowrie

And you're going to try out Intel? Ok, right now I wouldn't recommend Sandy Bridge(1155) because it seems they have some probs with the SATA ports on their P67 boards. Ivy Bridge(1366 successor) is still nowhere to be seen and they are talking about a 2012 release for Ivy Bridge, so that's out.

You are left with either 1155, which is being phased out by Sandy Bridge once they have solved their issues, or 1366. The safest bet would be 1366(i7 950 and upwards).

Do you overclock? If no, you should go for the faster i7's, like the i7 960 or the i7 970. If money is no object shoot for the i7 980 Extreme.

Do you have any particular motherboard in mind?

I just read a review on the sandybridge, and it eats the older i7's for lunch. I don't expect that it will take intel very long to fix the chipset problem, it might behoove you to sit on your decision for a couple of weeks. The $320 2600k stomps all over the c$850 975, and it overclocks like a champ too, the only 1366 socket cpu that can beat the top sandybridge is the six core 980 which is north of $1000. BTW it's the 1155 socket that's new and goes with the sandybridge, the 1156 is the old i3 and i5 socket and is for all intents and purposes dead. The 1366 is supposed to be still viable, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Actually, I have an Asus Rampage II Extreme and a i7 965 Extreme. It's been about 1.5 years now and I don't think I'll need to upgrade those for a few more years. It overclocks easily in the bios to 3.2, 3.6, and 4.0. I have had it on 3.6ghz for about a year now with no problems...

But I have been thinking of upgrading my 4870x2 sometime this summer. We'll see how CoD runs..

Ofcourse, the waiting game always favours the latest. 1366 is going to be the top notch chipset for atleast another year but Sandy Bridge has the snappiest procs in all the land. Clock for clock they won't beat the hell out of a 970, for example, but the price will. I'd go for SB myself but not right now. In two months yes.

Yeah, BA, I got the 55 and 56 mixed up again. LOL

I've done some further reading on the subject and found that the PCI-E bus is as porked as your favorite IL2 plane with the Intel chipsets for Sandybridge. Unless the motherboard manufacturer ads something like a Nvidea 200 chipset, you only have one PCI-E 16 bit lane. If there is any possibility of going for any flavor of multi-GPU solution, The 1366 socket might be the way to go.......

Computers are just too fookin' complicated.

PCI-E x8 won't limit your high end card more than probably 1-2%. Either way, that's for crossfire/sli setups. I don't think CoD:IL-2 will support CF/SLI.

The high end P67 boards usually have a NF200 chip, to duplicate PCI-E lanes from x8 to x16, but some geeks says that it adds latency so you won't get full x16/16 anyway.