El Alamein

Tribunus

Thankyou for this Tribunus. I found the pictures of the cemeteries very moving. Good to see the Commonwealth wargraves commission is still keeping up the good work.

My late fathers elder brother John, who is still very much alive and kicking and lives in Perth, in Western Australia was in the 2nd. Battalion, The Hampshire regiment and landed at Algiers as part of operation Torch in November 1942.

I think that sixty-seven years ago today, or perhaps tomorrow, he was seriously wounded at a village called Tebourba in an action that earned the battalion the name "the Tebourba Tigers." His company commander was awarded the VC for his part in this action.

They say that the desert war was a 'war without hatred.' Sounds rather trite, I know. But my uncles life was saved by a sgt. of Panzer Grenadiers who found

• 2. Administrators

Thanks for all this Tribunus, it's made fascinating reading.

I think the plane's a Spit. It looks from the first pic as if the landing gear is hinged inboard rather than outboard as it would be in a Hurri. Probably a Vb or Vc as pretty much everything after had a four-bladed prob.

Jabo