Logistics Question for M8's Who Are/Were in Military

DoubleTap

I was in tanks. I started to give a discussion of what I had in training and when I taught on basic courses, but that's not 'real' infantry training. I did a rough estimate of an 8 man section's loadout, and it came to around 2500 rounds of 5.56mm for a combat load. Rates of fire are usually quite controlled, either normal rate of fire (6-10 aimed shots per minute; single fire) or rapid rate of fire (up to 20 aimed shots per minute, or one every 3 seconds - this varies.)

There's very little 'rock & roll' shooting like you see in the movies, even with the automatic weapons. All Canadian Army weapons will fire on full automatic, even rifles (C7A1's - Canadian made M-16A2's.)

Which is another thing you rarely see in films; in any sort of company sized advance up to the start-line everyone gets lumbered with carrying rounds for the mortar troop, belted ammo for the MG troop, Milan rockets, batteries, etc.

Taxi!!

usually fight lasts, no more than few minutes. in those few minutes side that can keep other side suppressed is the one that can make additional actions to defeat the enemy. so yes. they do use a lot of rounds. ether by trying to suppress someone or trying to stay unsuppressed.

Some kind of logistic support is usually close enough for you to get re armed relatively quickly. taken that u r not surrounded.

if not .... bad luck.

The point is; u do not start the fight by saving the bullets for later. u want to finish it quickly and win if possible.

I had no Idea the 3 round burst worked that way :o. What complete and utter crap! Sounds like the typical government solution in search of a problem scenario. I can understand the theory behind it..... proper training is Very expensive, and cannot be passed on easily, the rifle with the little widget can be passed on to the next soldier when his inadequate training gets him sent home on a stretcher .....or in a bag. Fucking numbers game. ACH!