A Question About Scotch

Beebop-RIP

I knew that would get the attention several of you. :D

I have a question conerning Scotch and I couldn't think of a better place to ask but the local Dogz AA club. :wink:

Tonight my guitar player, Mike, took me out for a few drinks in one of our local "British style" drinking establishments. To the sounds of a Celtic quartet we sat and drank and discussed the future plans of our band "Bittering Agent". (BTW, Saturday's gig was a roaring success with many there saying they though we were the best band of the three.)

He insisted on buying me a "good" Scotch. He suggested Glenfiddich. It was quite good, much better than the American imitations of Scotch IMO. It had a nice bite and went down smooth. For the second round he suggested 15 year old Dalwhinnie. My, my, my. Even better. Much smoother. I may switch from Gin or Whiskey to Scotch.

So here's the question...

After a couple of sips (it was too good to just slam down in one gulp), Mike said I should put just a few drops of water in the drink and swirl it around. I did and much to my amazement it mellowed the Scotch and took the inital bite off it. Literally, just three or four drops. So I ask those of you who are Scotch affeciandos, why is that?

Muahahahahaha another convert

Sorry mate dont know the secret but I always take water with my whisky. I like it with about 1/2 whisky and 1/2 water , like yourself without the water I find it is too sharp. Water seems to release some of the aroma and flavour for me .

the malts you had a taste off are quite mellow, the island malts like talisker and laphroig are more peaty - my wife says they smell like medicine :lol:

Whisky is by definition a strong alcohol (between 40% and 60%). This high alcohol rate is difficult to appreciate by people who are not used to it. This can be considered as an aggression to the papilla's. Adding some fresh water softens the aggressive character of a strong alcohol.

But, even for people who are used to drink strong alcohols, adding a drop of fresh water will open up new horizons. Adding a drop of water will provoke a chemical reaction, freeing the fragrances. The whisky will "open" itself.

In the case of a "cask strength" (generally round 60%), adding water will make it possible to taste the whisky at different alcohol rates. The drinker is entitled to determine the best alcohol rate for himself. When he decides it has reached the ideal alcohol rate, he just can stop adding water.