Hardware Heaven? Logitech Flight System G940

Perfesser

Has some nice features, others not so good.

$300 is a little steep even if you do get the pedals too.

Force feedback, split/single throttle, dedicated trim functions (but in the wrong place). Pretty much guaranteed the software is better than Saitek.

http://gizmodo.com/5275549

LOS ANGELES — E3 — June 2, 2009 — To provide flight simulation enthusiasts with a realistic experience, Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) today unveiled the Logitech® Flight System G940. The latest addition to the acclaimed Logitech G-series line of gaming peripherals and the company’s first force-feedback flight simulation controller, the design and controls of the Flight System G940 were inspired by military and commercial planes and helicopters.

“There’s nothing ordinary about a G-series gaming peripheral, and the G940 is no different,â€

Way back in 2000 I had a terrible experience with Logitech's FFB joystick- I literally brought back 4 of them to the store because each one got Parkinson's within a week. I know others have had bad experiences with them on the UBI boards. I bought a MS FFB1 at a 2nd hand store for 15$ and never looked back.

That said, I have a logitech FFB rumble-pad bought used at a 2nd hand store which works great as a button-bay.

My thought on this unit are that it looks like a nice trio for someone wanting a HOTAS+pedals set up with a single software package. It is competitively priced with respect to buying an equivalent Saitek setup and less expensive than CH.

It'll be interesting to see if it performs as well as they say. Force feedback is of course the one function that is missing from my CH HOTAS that would make any huge difference to flight, but how long it will last is another question. Logitech has never been a brand I've got along with too well, either sticks or keyboards, or mice or speaker systems. Either drivers or construction quality has always been the problem for me & Logitech.

I just checked, and my CH gear has just passed its seventh birthday without having any replacement parts fitted. I think I'll stick

I'll let others guinea pig it.

I had my share of broken Logi sticks.

I had two brand new ones sitting on the shelf warrantied as spares for years. I gave them away, and both dies within a few weeks.

They use inferior pots in those days.