Olegs BoB

Crash

Yeah, it's good to get a readable, colloquial translation that conveys some sense of what the man is about - rather than all the distorted versions that are bandied about in the UbiZoo and elsewhere.

Looking back over the past 8 years - from the time when the majority of the "Black Lions" moved over from Warbirds and Dawn of Aces to IL-2 Sturmovik - it's been a hell of a ride!!

It pisses me off to hear some of the criticisms that fly about regarding the performance of the developers and how 4.09b has never been finished - yada yada. I just have to think back to the early days when updates, patches & full-blown add-ons flowed regularly - most of them totally free - and then think back to the hassles with the development of the former sims.

We had to fight a lengthy battle to get the effective range of the laser-like guns reduced to 300 feet in Dawn of Aces (a WW1 sim) from 600! Once it finally came through we were able to use "boom and zoom" planes, like the Se5a, the DVII and the Spad XIII, without getting shot by a DrI or Camel as we zoomed out. The establishment were really grudging about it, and the forums echoed to cries of displeasure from the turn and burn freaks. But, hey, you have to move on or die. And thats pretty much what happened to that sim after Maddox came along.

I'm not saying that Maddox can do no wrong - after all he's not super-human - but he's not the reincarnation of Attila the Hun or Peter the Great that some people think. Anyone remember when he crashed his car and the UbiZoo clubbed together to buy him a new one? I hope he manages to make a good wedge out of SoW:BoB - he deserves to, in my book.

B :dog:

It must've been about 6 years ago at least, when Oleg was still posting regularly on the Ubi forums. His car was side-swiped by a truck during winter if I recall correctly, and written off. A bunch of people clubbed together enough money to buy him a cheap banger, not a Lincoln Continental or anything

"2. We’re developing a system that is more than just a flight sim, but can be a sub sim, PT boat sim, tank sim, helicopter sim, etc. By the way, we just might have a flyable autogyro in BoB."

drooling_homer-712749.png

If this were modular, allowing you to plug into the flight sim to drive a tank or fire the arty at Soviet bastages...oh, dear LORD, that would be awesome!

I'd plunk down $100 for that!

DT

"2. We’re developing a system that is more than just a flight sim, but can be a sub sim, PT boat sim, tank sim, helicopter sim, etc. By the way, we just might have a flyable autogyro in BoB."

If this were modular, allowing you to plug into the flight sim to drive a tank or fire the arty at Soviet bastages...oh, dear LORD, that would be awesome!

I'd plunk down $100 for that!

DT

An "all-arms" sim... can you imagine the online campaigns, coordinating ground forces (artie barrages, tank columns, amphibious landings) with air recon/ Jabo support etc... it would really heighten the immersion factor!

It's really great that Oleg is designing BoB with a view to future-proofing and 3rd party modability... all in all, I believe it's going to BLOW OUR MINDS not just with eye-candy but with the depth of simulation (just remember what he said about how if the generator for a searchlight is damaged the whole chain of dependent components will be affected...)

Thank goodness Rise of Flight looks to be releasing soonish (mid-09?) because I really need something to tide me over until BoB...

Could you imagine the SEOW campaigns based on that...?

Dogz SEOW C.O. - "Right, we've got 16 volunteers for Spitfires, 8 volunteers for the Hurricanes, but I'm still looking at 2 volunteers for the Carrier Pidgeons, step up now chaps! Remember you'll be loaded up with a 5g HE bomblet and will have the 'Wings of Fury' MOD available to you."

Dogz -"GROAN!"

Could you imagine the SEOW campaigns based on that...?

Dogz SEOW C.O. - "Right, we've got 16 volunteers for Spitfires, 8 volunteers for the Hurricanes, but I'm still looking at 2 volunteers for the Carrier Pidgeons, step up now chaps! Remember you'll be loaded up with a 5g HE bomblet and will have the 'Wings of Fury' MOD available to you."

Dogz -"GROAN!"

:k9lmao: