day out - cars/bikes/spitfire :-) PICS

delta7

Knockhill racecourse had a vintage day today - had an excellent time - highlight was a spitfire flypast and display - apologies I just have a compact digital. The merlin engine was fired up and ran - oooooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeet noise - it was from a beaufighter.

BIKES

norton.jpg

Jim clarks car

jimclark.jpg

jimclark2.jpg

Jackie stewert doing an exhibition lap

jst.jpg

Merlin

merlin.jpg

SPitfire

spit.jpg

:D:D:D

Nice shots. Little digitals make good photos, they just dont usually have very powerful

zoom lenses. If i may recomend, your pix would be easier to view if you could resize them

in a photo program, down to around 100kb or less. Most any such programs have that capability, usually listed under the image collum. Took me yrs to discover that.... :?

I bet the noise was totally cool.

Nice day out. Thanks for sharing. I like the Commando. :D

Before I left Australia I was the proud owner of a 750cc 1968 Norton Atlas, the last of the featherbed Nortons. It was beautiful to look at and ride and it sounded awesome. I had it totally rebuilt as a cafe racer with single seat, clip-ons, upswept pipes, cafe tank - the whole bit. The rebuild was done with all Norton parts which were readily available at the time (I don't know if they still are) Brand new Smith gauges, brand new Akront rims, brand new Amal carbs & a big 210mm racing drum on the front. Matching #s and repainted in silver, black and red......I miss it :( I love old Brit bikes - the AJS in the background is beautiful too

Before I left Australia I was the proud owner of a 750cc 1968 Norton Atlas, the last of the featherbed Nortons. It was beautiful to look at and ride and it sounded awesome. I had it totally rebuilt as a cafe racer with single seat, clip-ons, upswept pipes, cafe tank - the whole bit. The rebuild was done with all Norton parts which were readily available at the time (I don't know if they still are) Brand new Smith gauges, brand new Akront rims, brand new Amal carbs & a big 210mm racing drum on the front. Matching #s and repainted in silver, black and red......I miss it :( I love old Brit bikes - the AJS in the background is beautiful too

Got the track? or it didn't happen! :wink:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I had a Triton when I left the Army in '81.

Wide line featherbed, T150V mill road holders (IIRC) forks, clip-ons, rear sets and a nice ally Manx tank.

Had a condenser mod so no battery was required, and Boyer-Bransdon electronic ignition.

The triple sounded sooo sweeet through a reverse mega 'silencer' that was home made, I always used to say it sounded like a demented Merlin.

I nearly cried when it threw a big end out through the crank case, I no longer had the earnings to repair it so it was eventually sold for the bits. Beautiful head turning ride. :(

I had 2 triumph bonnevilles

the first one I bought I turned into a cafe racer with clip ons - rear sets and painted black with gold pin stripes- chromed everything I could and fitted open mega with K&N filters- it was a dog :cry: I spent 3 years wages on it - it was always in the bike shop getting fixed- but I loved it to bits- I even bought a second one to keep me going when the first was off the road and for winter use- it lasted longer than the original - I got so pissed of with it always breaking down that I sold it for a honda vf500- that was a nice bike 500cc V four. kept the old bonnie for winter use - never let me down. I crashed my car and had to sell both bikes to buy a new one and I havnt had one since - still miss them sometimes but then too many friends have been hurt or killed that I wont get another one.

Id love to see your pics dubbo if you can find them mate. If I ever get my scanner working on my old pc Ill post pics of the bonnies

Love the old Triumphs too - like to see your pics Delta. It's a weird thing. You can buy a modern rice rocket, thrash the thing to death and have a ton of fun doing it - but I've never been able to bond to Japanese bikes. The old Brits though, what with adjusting the tappets every 500 miles and retightening the flanges on the J-pipe headers (hell re-tightening and re-adjusting everything), priming the carbs and threatening/cajoling/coercing the old girl into starting - it was like a problem child you just can't help loving....or a wilful woman.

Sometimes, I could get it to start by pushing gently down on the kick. Other times though, she would kick back and pretty much shatter your shin, or throw you off the bike entirely. And then there were the times where it just wouldn't start til it was ready, no matter what you did - normally when you needed to be somewhere. :) Still though, more reliable than a Lucas electric start (like the Commandoes had) :wink: