New Laptop

Blairgowrie

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hibernation file you will not be able to remove until you disable hibernation:

1. Right-click on the desktop and click "Properties"

2. Hit the "Screen Saver" tab

3. Then click the "Power" button under "Monitor Power"

4. Click the "Hibernation" tab, then uncheck the box next to "Enable Hibernation"

The system error memory dumps - delete these (curious as to why they are there though...)

Thanks Rog. I was able to find this on the Internet. I didn't realise it was Vista feature. Glad I asked before deleting it.

I think the reason the sytem error dumps are so large is because I bought the laptop on Clearance but with full warranty with a 30 day "no questions asked" store return policy. Apparently some other dude had bought this unit and returned it to the store after 14 days. I am beginning to think he may have returned it for a reason.

:bg: 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Use Ghost or Snapshot (http://snapshot.de) to take an image of All Partitions.

Re image with XP, if you need to do a warranty call then repeat above of your XP, then restore the partitions backed up previously..

Of course if system is dead you won't have much joy doing that, but there are cheap adapters that will enable you to connect the drive to USB and put the old OS back..

Funny warranty that says you have to have the original OS though..

I sent an Asus EEEPC back for warranty repair, bought with Linux on and I installed XP.

They repaired it no quibble (actually came back with 2 SSD disks when it originally had one

If it had come with a downgrade option to XP I definitely would have taken it. Mind you, I am not having any substantial issues with Vista other than not being able to install Nero version 6 which is not compatible with Vista. Version 9 is about $100 Can and I can always use my XP desktop to burn discs.

I will ask them tomorrow about the warranty re Vista. I think it was Jabo who told me that when I suggested converting to XP. I think he also said some of the new stuff in that version of computer would not work with XP. But then I could be wrong about who said it. My memory sometimes plays tricks on me those days.

Not sure I am crazy about using Ghost or Snapshot to take an image. I made a couple of recovery DVD discs when I took possession of this computer. Wouldn't they do the same thing?

:bg:   

• 2. Administrators

I will ask them tomorrow about the warranty re Vista. I think it was Jabo who told me that when I suggested converting to XP. I think he also said some of the new stuff in that version of computer would not work with XP. But then I could be wrong about who said it. My memory sometimes plays tricks on me those days.

Nothing wrong with your memory Jim, it was me. I also pointed out that when in the past we had taken machines which were pre-loaded with Vista, and tried to re-build them as XP machines, we had big problems getting drivers for the internal components (this was a particular problem with laptops, but also to a lesser extent with desktops too)

Not sure I am crazy about using Ghost or Snapshot to take an image. I made a couple of recovery DVD discs when I took possession of this computer. Wouldn't they do the same thing?

Yes and no