Re: My first re formatting problem :)

Tonar

my humble opinion is that u r trying to insert a wrong DVD! this error u'll get when inserting a DVD movie before u installed a dvd player SW. what version of windows are u having there m8?

• 1. DDz Quorum

First thing to do is to do a dxdiag to check your chipset and gpu drivers are loaded OK.

start->run then type in dxdiag and hit enter.

Let it run and complete, then click 'save all information', this will create a file called dxdiag.txt on your desktop, can you copy and paste the contents of that back here please?

It maybe that your DVD drive has not been recognised due to chipset drivers being awry.

For Movie playback you would have been using a third party codec, possibly from a CD that came with your system.

There are free codecs available.

Another thought, there are 2 DVDs in the 46 pack, one of them is a movie ;)

The CCC not working, have you downloaded and installed the .NET 2 Framework that is required by the CCC?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Mike.

Re: your Dxdiag.

1. You have full hardware acceleration on your soundcard, as it is not of the Audihy or later variety you should lower the acceleration to 'standard' to save some CPU cycle time, you can do this either through the sound applet in control panel on hardware tab, or via the dxdiag tool on the sound/audio tab.

2. Looks like your Via Chipset drivers have not taken, you do not have an active AGP driver.

I recall you having problems with this about 3 yrs ago

i vould recommend K-lite mega codec pack

it has all codecs u'll ever need and a small player called Media player classic (ugly but effective) that will play anything.

usually playing with codecs packs can leed u in a trouble so i'm recommending this one cause is tested throughout the years and works fine.

• 1. DDz Quorum

In the folder you extracted from the VIA zip file you downloaded you will find this folder:

\viaagp\DRIVER\WinXP\

You need to open device manager (start-run and type in devmgmt.msc ) then follow directions in images:

2_ba5cf5e2b5ad30b713d5679bb2848bf4

2_c0ab2b25847d70bbbfdccddbea60e159

2_2375e401179c87211de7e9febd604892

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just found this: (so the correct device to look for is the VIA CPU to AGP Controller - I don't have a VIA board here to compare).

Individual Device Checking/Updating

To check and/or update individual devices, go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, then open the relevant sub-section. For example, to check your AGP Driver, go to the System Devices subsection, and double-click on the 'VIA CPU to AGP Controller' (or similar) item, then under the Driver tab you can see the Driver Provider, the Driver Version, and the Driver Date. If these don't appear to be very recent (e.g. the Provider is listed as Microsoft), then you can update each device manually by doing the following:

1. Manually unzip the VIA Driver package. Even if the package is an .exe file, you can extract the contents using Winzip. Simply run Winzip, choose Open and point it to the driver's .exe file, and extract the contents to an empty folder.

2. Go to the relevant device in Device Manager (see above) then choose Update Driver>'Install from a list or specific location'>'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'>'Have Disk' and manually point Windows to the folder where you unzipped the package. You may have to find a subfolder with the correct driver .inf file (e.g. the IDEWinXP Folder).

3. Reboot as requested and check the driver version. It should be updated now.

over at http://www.tweakguides.com/Hyperions.html

It's all in the abbreviation, AGP. The driver enables the Accelerated Graphics Port to function correctly. A handy thing to have enabled ;)

I used to have mobos that used the VIA chipsets and had similar problems getting that particular one to 'stick'. I recall it was all about having the correct set of Hyperion (VIA) drivers for the specific motherboard.

You should see a useful improvement in your graphics output.

Well done Rog!

B

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

So my re-format went well, but since that day I am unable to connect to certain servers. I am unable to find the link between the different servers so I am starting to think something happened during the format.

I am able to connect to:

Zekes vs Wildcats

• 1. DDz Quorum

What Firewall are you using on your PC?

Perhaps it doesn't like the change in IL2FB.exe and is blocking it?

Do you use a router? If so it would be quite safe to disable the Firewall on your PC to test..