XP 64 Bit

Jabo

i have posted all ready once and i'll do it again.

there is more trouble then benefit from 64 bit Windows. actually only benefit you'll have is support for more then 4 GB of RAM. and for home or game computer that is insane if u ask me. IL2 and 99% of other software are not designed for 64 bit OS and can not use their capabilities.

and what u certainly can expect, is a lot of trouble with 64 bit drivers.

• 1. DDz Quorum

My experience of XP64 so far has been pretty good.

Downside:

1. No longer able to program my joystick buttons on my MSFFB2

2. ZoneAlarm security suite doesn't support XP64, nor it would seem does Norton.

Tried Comodo but that was too buggy, so in the absence of contraception I'm now abstaining

• 2. Administrators

Using Kaspersky at present, McAfee TP throws a wobbly with XP64

~S~ Jabo

P.S. Only problem so far is that there is no driver for my Linksys WMP300N wifi card (and may not be one anytime soon as far as I can tell). Can anybody out there recommend a good wifi card (not necessarily 'N') with x64 support. It's not a huge problem as I can run an ethernet cable to my router, but I'd prefer the wifi option. Other than that, XP64 is a doozy - even my Saitek Cyborg stick has native driver support!

~S~ Jabo

P.S. Only problem so far is that there is no driver for my Linksys WMP300N wifi card (and may not be one anytime soon as far as I can tell). Can anybody out there recommend a good wifi card (not necessarily 'N') with x64 support. It's not a huge problem as I can run an ethernet cable to my router, but I'd prefer the wifi option. Other than that, XP64 is a doozy - even my Saitek Cyborg stick has native driver support!

I've got this on ... and it has drivers for xp 64 ...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MSI-PC70SE-80211n-Wireless-PCI-Card-(248-Mbit-s)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks M8, downloading Kaspersky now.

The MOD used to use Kaspersky, don't know if they still do...

Re: wireless, it is my experience that for online gaming you cannot beat wired, my wireless router is 3' away but I still use wired because of the increased latency wireless gives, plus the latency is not consistent.

~S~ Jabo

• 2 weeks later...

I've got XP Pro 64 bit on both my workstation comps. Only driver I had to search for was the one for the Linksys wireless modem. And I found that at the Linksys forum they had 64 bit drivers posted for download. I EASILY found drivers for the sound card and video cards. My CH Combatstick was recognized immediately as was my external DVD drive. Those who post against 64 bit are basing their opinions on old problems when it first came out. They are like the same guys who didn't want to switch from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, Windows 95 to Windows 98, Windows 98 to Windows XP, etc.,etc. They also ride around in cars with carburetors that start using a crank and have wooden spoke wheels

Okay....here's the instructions. First you should right click on "My Computer", then click on Hardware and Device Manager and look to make sure your wireless device is present. It should show up under "Network Adapters" and there will be a little exclamation mark next to it showing that it is not working. If you don't see the device then check all the connections on the device and computer to make sure they are secure. Right click on your adapter and select "Update driver software". When the Hardware Wizard opens select "No, not this time" to search the web and click "next" then select "Browse my computer..." and click "next" now click on the "Browse" button and browse to the drivers you extracted from the .zip file you downloaded, click on the .inf file (it will be the only available file when you get into the folder containing the downloaded drivers) and click "next". If you get a "driver not signed" message or anything else click on "install anyways". After it is installed close the windows out. You should be back to your desktop. An icon should show up in the taskbar and say "wireless networks are available" you will need your encryption key and such to set up your network. Make sure you know which network is yours because the key for your network wont work on someone else's network and vice versa.

• 2. Administrators

Nope, sorry m8, this driver doesn't work. Just get the usual warning about the driver being incompatible with the hardware. No worries I'll carry on using the router with an ethernet cable.

~S~ and thanks

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

The drivers Deputy posted would not work M8, because they are for the US version of the card which is based on the Broadcom chip.

Yours is based on the Atheros chip (we have different channels/frequencies in Europe) so you may get more mileage by using these:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/drivers/64bit_atheros_V4.2.1.1%20.zip

It will be a case of unzipping that, and then updating the driver and pointing to the inf file in that zip.

It may or may not work....the post Here indicates that the OP thinks it will, and he modified the Broadcom driver inf file to work with XP64.

But again I would venture that wired is significantly better for gaming, and with such a 'latency consistent' sensitive application as IL2 more so..

• 2. Administrators

The drivers Deputy posted would not work M8, because they are for the US version of the card which is based on the Broadcom chip.

Yours is based on the Atheros chip (we have different channels/frequencies in Europe) so you may get more mileage by using these:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/drivers/64bit_atheros_V4.2.1.1%20.zip

It will be a case of unzipping that, and then updating the driver and pointing to the inf file in that zip.

It may or may not work....the post Here indicates that the OP thinks it will, and he modified the Broadcom driver inf file to work with XP64.

But again I would venture that wired is significantly better for gaming, and with such a 'latency consistent' sensitive application as IL2 more so..

Indeed Roger, I had forgotten that the US and European versions use different chipsets, I can confirm however that the Broadcom drivers don't work either (I tried it immediately after switching to XP64). Personally, I see little difference between wired and wireless internet connectivity - my connection speeds are if anything slower when using the ethernet port on the router - guess it's not gigabit (sigh).

I've spoken to (argued with) Linksys tech support this morning about their miserable lack of support for a) Vista and B) XP64 - Initially they wouldn't even admit there was a problem. They wouldn't give me any indication of a time-frame for a fix either.

• 2. Administrators

Well, just found the show-stopper I was worried about. Thanks to Bill and co. there's no support for Windows Live in XP64, which means I can't play some of the newer games which need it (GTA IV for example). So I'm either going back to the 32-bit version of XP or switching to Vista, not sure which yet.

~S~ Jabo