updating vid card drivers

JensenPark

can anyone direct me to a simple (or rather simpleton may be a better word) site for instructions on how to load new graphic drivers for an ATI card?

If you follow the ones on the ATI site, they don't really work...

I have Driver Cleaner Pro to use - but I can't seem to get the new driver to load properly...

Thanks,

ati 1600.

it gets worse...I followed the instructions on the ATI page (go to my computer, remove programs, etc) and loaded the driver as instructed...

upon rebooting I get through the usual stuff, windows loading then get the black screen of death...after a few seconds of the black screen of death, my monitor then goes into energy savings mode.

reboot same thing

unplug same thing

anyway I can get to 'safe mode' through the 'press delete to stop set up' part?

If I can get into windows safe mode I can do a restore at least.

UGH!

• 1. DDz Quorum

The 8.12 drivers are a POS.

On my third attempt got them installed but no CCC.

Your best bet Kelly is go into safe mode (F8) and clear out the drivers using driver cleaner, then install either 8.10 or 8.11 drivers.

hey JP

first it is blue screen of death ;)

and second; to enter safe mode u need to press F8 as Besixteenenk all ready stated. if u manage to enter safe mode go and try to uninstall it regular why (control panel -> add/remove programs). reboot and try installing again. 8.12 driver should be fine.

if that does not work DL this Catalyst uninstaller

• 2. Administrators

Given that your monitor was causing the problem, I suspect the default refresh rate was set to a level your monitor could not support, and therefore the monitor was shutting down, giving you the Black Screen of Death ie monitor in power save mode.

~S~ Jabo

• 4 weeks later...