Tempermental Mouse

DoubleTap

I've had a problem with my mouse for a while, and I thought that when I did a new clean install of XP it would be fixed along with other issues, but apparently not.

The mouse intermittently drops out, or disconnects, and then almost immediately reconnects.

I should think that a USB problem would have been fixed by the re-install. I think it almost has to be a hardware problem, either on the mother board or in one of the devices. If your not having problems with other devices, then it must be either the mouse or one of the other devices conflicting with the mouse. I think the first order of business has to be trying another mouse if you don't have one laying around, perhapse a friend at work might have one, alternately you might try unplugging all of the other USB devices and see if the problem goes away, then you can plug them back on at a time to find the offender.

On second thought it could be a driver, but I would start my investigation with the hardware.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Dodgy mouse, Microsoft mice (the basic ones) are liable to do this in my experience.

I threw away two that were displaying identical behaviour (actually I placed a very powerful mouse trap on the floor with a bit of cheese as bait as they had frustrated me so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Dodgy mouse, Microsoft mice (the basic ones) are liable to do this in my experience.

I threw away two that were displaying identical behaviour (actually I placed a very powerful mouse trap on the floor with a bit of cheese as bait as they had frustrated me so much!