Friends Computer

Pooka

Hi Pooka,

until recently my rig was:

AMD 2500+ Barton OC to 3000+ (ie: 2.2 GHz) (so a weaker CPU than his)

ATI X850pro (not sure, but I think it is better that the 7600GS)

1 gig ram (don't recall specs now)

As for sound card... depending on his board he may not need one. The SoundStorm on my Asus A7N8X deluxe was fine, but if he doesn't have a dedicated sound processing chip on his board he'll probably want to pick up a card so that his CPU doesn't have to assume that load.

As for the RAM... I'm kind of split on that. He'd have to dump two good 512 sticks for 2X1 gig sticks for not all that much of a performance increase (given his other components)... on the other hand DDR2 prices are pretty low these days, even for matched pairs of 1 gig sticks.

In my opinion he'll definitely be able to fly online with us with his current specs... on "excellent" settings, but not on perfect, and still be able to get 20-35 fps in 95% of the missions we fly in coops. If a coop is overcast skies with lightning etc... the machine will struggle. If there are multiple objects + ships' AAA firing (think the Italy SEOW with the battles over the aircraft carriers) his machine will grind to a near-halt (5fps).... but those, honestly, are the rare exceptions with which many of the DDz with quite decent machines will have problems keeping up.

So, in summary, if money is an issue- his machine, as is, will definitely allow him to join up with us or on HL but he will have to accept that "perfect" is not an option. If he doesn't have a sound chip on his Mobo, that would be my first upgrade option given how cheap they can be had nowadays (he doesn't need anything fancy like an X-Fi).

Hope this helps,

C_G

Hi Pooka,

I was running IL2 on:

Epox 8HMM1-A Mobo

Sempron 3000 754 pin cpu

Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256Mb AGP

Audigy 2 sound card

1Gb DDR 400 ram.

With a bit (well, a lot actually) of tweaking and no goodies - Water=0, no AA, no AF etc. I managed to get about 32fps average with the BD track.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Don't try to run it with 4 sticks of RAM, that is a world of trouble there as the AMD64 memory controllers can't handle 4 sticks at default speeds.

I personally don't think 2Gb is better than 1Gb for IL2 anyway!