22" - 24" monitors- what've you got and how do you like it?

Cold_Gambler

Hey all,

if I recall, a number of you fine gentlemen recently bought 22" or 24" monitors.

I'm in the market for one and am hoping your experiences with IL2 on your monitors will assist me... I have read a number of reviews but as you know my primary reason/use of the monitor I figure you're best placed to give me some input.

Cheers,

C_G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stingray, you need to edit the IL2 conf ini , copy and paste this in;

[window]

width=1900

height=1200

ColourBits=32

DepthBits=24

StencilBits=8

ChangeScreenRes=1

FullScreen=1

DrawIfNotFocused=0

EnableResize=0

EnableClose=0

SaveAspect=0

Use3Renders=0

That should add you a bit either side, and lose you nothing top and bottom. Plus it stops your gunsight being oval. :)

Sounds like a nice monitor, what graphics card are you using m8 ?

Thanks for the conf.ini things, I'll add them and see how it goes.

I have an ATI 4870 video card, looking at benchmarks it seems like the most bang for the buck, it whomps 8800GT, and the only thing that really beats it are SLI/Crossfire cards, or the new GTX280 (The GTX260 is better sometimes).

Hi Stingray, you need to edit the IL2 conf ini , copy and paste this in;

[window]

width=1900

height=1200

ColourBits=32

DepthBits=24

StencilBits=8

ChangeScreenRes=1

FullScreen=1

DrawIfNotFocused=0

EnableResize=0

EnableClose=0

SaveAspect=0

Use3Renders=0

That should add you a bit either side, and lose you nothing top and bottom. Plus it stops your gunsight being oval. :)

Just wondering, why are you using 1900x1200 instead of 1920x1200??

I'm posting while taking the "night shift" on little #2, rocking her with my right foot as I type.

It wasn't cheap, but still less expensive than the Samsungs I was considering- I picked it up at Best Buy for $470.

There's an embarrasment of choices out there- so many manufacturers, technologies etc... and rarely any useful review (lot's of "X-screen rocks, it looks sleek and the colours are bright") of the particular model I was considering. In the end, the link Shayd gave me was determinative because I really wanted to be sure I could game with it. The site he linked allows for comparisons between monitors and uses empirical measurement to calculate ghosting and input lag. In those two areas this monitor did well. I'm not too finnicky about colour accuracy, and since my head will be mostly dead-center (TrackIR) I figured I would be satisfied with a TN screen. Also didn't need an integrated camera or USB ports.

The main concern I had was the non-adjustable stand (tilt only) but it's not going to be a problem for me.

This monitor is FRIGGING HUGE! It fills out so much more of my peripheral vision in IL2 than the 19" I've just replaced...

You didn't miss it because I didn't make it... ought to soon, I guess LOL, she's only over a month old now!

Gisèle Cecilia Tam Patterson was born on June 24th, weighing in a 6lbs7oz. We got home the next day and have been trying to catch up on sleep/work/life ever since... Will post pics soon (before she turns 2 at any rate).

LOL, Jim... when that rat-bastard Francois left me for you, I didn't think he'd tell all.

Her first name is not a family name (we got some odd suggestions from my parents that were though). Cecilia was Dawn's maternal grandmother's name, however.