Me-109 crash

GreyKnight

I saw it on the evening news last evening. Looked like the right side landing gear had collapsed or something. It skidded by & then spun to a stop on the right wing. The pilot did one heck of a good job under the circumstances.

Most of the damage looked to be to the right wing & the prop. I almost cried as I watched it happen on the video.

• 2. Administrators

~S~ All

Accident happened at Berlin Airshow. BF109 G-10 had just completed a routine with new-build

Me-262 and was landing when the right-hand gearlock failed. Apparently the damage is 'light and repairable' and confined to the prop and wingtip. They might even have got away without shock-loading the engine.

'Fortunately' this aircraft is not an original G-10 as I understand it is a re-converted Hispano Buchon owned by a company called EADS (whoever they are) (See Klinger's post)

Some really nice pictures on this thread over at airliners.net of the two aircraft in the air together before the accident. I could have posted them here, but decided against it as they are copyright.

Main thing is no-one was hurt.

Jabo

PS I think this might be the aircraft Mark Hanna (formerly OFMC) lost his life in a few years back.