Museum of American Airpower Air Show 2006 - Long Island NY

DoubleTap

Here are some photos from Sudnay's air show. I have some short video clips I will post later...

Queen of the Show.

CIMG0237.jpg

CIMG0238.jpg

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0256.jpg

CIMG0248.jpg

CIMG0286.jpg

Not something you want to be looking at in an Axis fighter...

CIMG0258.jpg

Ditto...

CIMG0259.jpg

The gentlemen on the right used to repair B-17's in England. He was among the crews responsible for fixing the neavier damage to the birds like missing sections, not bullet holes...

CIMG0241.jpg

Couple of shots of the bomb bay...

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0242.jpg

One of the bomb racks...

CIMG0243.jpg

Engines Starting... (I have video as well)

CIMG0292.jpg

Taxing

CIMG0294.jpg

B-17 Returns... (It's in the background)

CIMG0298.jpg

I don't care what the flight model says. P-40; its a sweet ride...

CIMG0296.jpg

And looks freaking cool!

CIMG0263.jpg

Mustang and F4U in formation.

CIMG0225.jpg

More Mustang...

CIMG0285.jpg

CIMG0229.jpg

CIMG0232.jpg

More F4U...

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0236.jpg

CIMG0235.jpg

TOYS!

CIMG0282.jpg

CIMG0281.jpg

CIMG0279.jpg

CIMG0278.jpg

B-24, I Believe...

CIMG0276.jpg

CIMG0277.jpg

Not sure what plane this was; could not get a look at the side. It was freakin' HUGE!

CIMG0265.jpg

Ready and Briefing Room Mock-Ups...

CIMG0269.jpg

CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0267.jpg

CIMG0264.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

2 A-10s (One Taxiing in Background)

CIMG0246.jpg

A-10 Right After Take Off

CIMG0262.jpg

Soviet Jet L-39 (I have video)

CIMG0257.jpg

CIMG0284.jpg

Sweet pics and vid Glenn. That mustang sounded awesome, but in my opinion, nothing sounds better than a radial. It's funny that most men I've talked to have been wired the same: the sound of a jet or the rumble of a piston just makes the hair on your neck stand up. We love power!

I think that blue plane is an F-6F and that twin engine bomber is a B-25.

Sweet pics and vid Glenn. That mustang sounded awesome, but in my opinion, nothing sounds better than a radial. It's funny that most men I've talked to have been wired the same: the sound of a jet or the rumble of a piston just makes the hair on your neck stand up. We love power!

I think that blue plane is an F6 by the way.

Jeremy,

That was my first response, but then it seems to have an internal payload. Or is that something else on the bottom? Hmmm.

CIMG0265.jpg

Or is that just an access panel for maintenance? DAVE!! We need you!! Report to the message boards!

In any event, it was damn big. From what I could see it made the corsair look small. I should have gotten a comparison shot.

Gotta be an Avenger. Definitively not a Spitty. Spitty has two engines right?

Video was awesome Glenn. I really liked the way you segwayed to another plane. You have a career in film editing my friend.

From your keyboard to God's ears, or at least Peter Jackson's...

Hehe..;the only country in the world you can get away with wearing white socks n shorts is the States...:P.......j/k

Yer, great pic's, great weather...

Funny to see the "maxim" machine gun...My grandfather used one in the 2nd WW against the Germans...(captured during WWI, but can be mistaken)

He used it at the Albertcanal, he said it was mainly pointing at a direction, and letting the enemy walk into the stream of bullets....the only downfall was the need of a pool or something liquid to replace the hot liquid fast....something with a hose and a "pot" or cup attached....

He also used an AA gun of some type, even shot down a plane....can't remember which..

Anyways, he had to serve in a workcamp in Germany after capitulation, he had to help build the concrete highways (first ever build, in Germany) going to berlin.....after 2 years he was "released", married my grandmother....

Once, they had to seek shelter for a bombing raid from the Allied forces on a big train/railroadcomplex nearby.....when they came out the cellar, a "dud" was half burried in the kitchen floor.....thank god for that, or I wouldn't be telling this...

Thanks for sharing these mate- look at the number of rivits on the B-17 :shock: imagine the thousands per plane and the thousands built- were they all hand rivetted or did usa have machine rivitting in the production lines ?

BTW- I agree with BG - its an avenger

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 18,RNWE:en

I think that blue plane is an F6 by the way.

Jeremy,

That was my first response, but then it seems to have an internal payload. Or is that something else on the bottom? Hmmm.

CIMG0265.jpg

Or is that just an access panel for maintenance? DAVE!! We need you!! Report to the message boards!

In any event, it was damn big. From what I could see it made the corsair look small. I should have gotten a comparison shot.

"

I did some searching on google, and found this, which prooved my first tought on this bird...F4F-4 grumman "Wildcat"...I remember making a model back in the days about this plane, and the way the wings fold, made me come to this conclusion....but I can be wrong offcourse...

linky with pics.... http://www.aero-web.org/specs/grumman/f4f-4.htm

I see Ubi was a sponsor of the show.

CIMG0292.jpg

Isn't that what the "GD" is for on the B-17, General Discussion? :roll:

What's the story on "The Jacky C II"? Restored AVG fighter? 'Painted as..'? Replica? The next pic is cool as well. Are those B, C or E models? The air intake doesn't look big enough to be an M model but I dont see the rudder to wingtip wires.

Great pics though. Thanks for sharing.

What's the story on "The Jacky C II"? Restored AVG fighter? 'Painted as..'? Replica? The next pic is cool as well. Are those B, C or E models? The air intake doesn't look big enough to be an M model but I dont see the rudder to wingtip wires.

Great pics though. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry that I do not have more extensive information on all the planes, but I was able to dig up some information on the "Jacky C II":

" The ‘Jacky C I’ was a P-40B model converted from one of the original Hawk designs. The plane was based on Hawaii when the Japanese struck in 1941 and its pilot, George M. Granning, managed shoot down 4 Japanese aircraft during the battle without suffering significant damage. However, upon landing Granning claimed to have had a vision that his stunning achievement would later be depicted in an atrocious film in which he would be played by a tall doofus with little acting ability.

pearlharbpub9.jpg

Upon reaching the hanger, Granning immediately hopped out of the "Jacky C I", doused it in aviation fuel and set it ablaze. (Granning’s subsequent court-martial was overturned a week after the premiere of Pearl Harbor.)

The ‘Jacky C II’ had a bitter longer of a career. It was a P-40C originally shipped to Britain as part of their original order for fighter planes, which were in short supply at that time. Briefly assigned to Theodore A. Bumrupture, who renamed the fighter "Yankee Rubbish", the plane proved unpleasing to its pilot. Bumrupture was scornful of the fighter's entire design, and was quoted as saying, ‘I would rather fly in one of our trusty old Hurricane IIBs for the entire war than ever step foot in the cockpit of this atrocity ever again.’ (Bumrupture did indeed fly a Hurricane IIB for the rest of the war, managing to expend 1,456,234 rounds of .303 ammunition while failing to bring down a single aircraft even though he was apparently a good shot.)

fb-hurri1rev.jpg

Sent back to the States and renamed "Jacky C II", the fighter was part of the original group of planes sent to China to serve in the Flying Tigers against the Japanese. Originally scornful of the P-40, Japanese pilots dubbed it the Kooyan-Gazen-Horchee, or ‘Yankee Running Dog Rubbish’. However, once the Tigers were upgraded to the ‘E’ model and began using Boom and Zoom tactics, the Japanese began calling it the Hunai-Dailen-Ichen-Dornai, or ‘What the #%$!@ Was That?’

zeroablaze.jpg

When the Tigers were disbanded, the ‘Jacky C II’ was transferred to the Russian front where it was renamed “Capitalist Yankee Rubbishâ€

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm angelina mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ah thats better

• 1. DDz Quorum

Best read I've had in a while.

Granted all the other stuff I've been reading is technical white papers extorting the merits of one particular vendor over the inferior offerings of their competitors......and it was stuff I don't give a rats arse about........

Bloody good read mate, well done!

OK then. I was reading with great interest the history of the plane until I got to Bumrupture. LOL! What a great name! "Capitalist Yankee Rubbish". LOL! I should do a skin like that.

Thanks for the "history" though. It was a good read.

(Is your source the same one Ben Aflek read in preparation for filming Pearl Harbor?)