takeoff and landings - some info

delta7

One thing that we could improve is out takeoff and landings. there are very often restarts or scrapping takeoffs for airstarts in our co-ops and this leads to a lack of practice.

It can also cause problems with host or others machines with continual restarts.

Now I know that Im probably setting myself up for a big fall but I think I do ok here and so Ill put up a checklist and some hints and I hope this helps others- most of this will be well known but hopefully it will help some.

hopefully some of our JO chaps can have a look over this and give it the benifit of their experience and training as they do a bit of this there

remember that if you crash on takeoff then you could be sitting there for 30mins or more waiting for others to finish.

stay calm - let the game settle - spawns and takeoff put a load on any machine so take everything carefully.

1) know where you are in line. In normal co-ops switch to external view and look. In closed pit then start your engine, put

full left rudder and SLOWLY throttle up- JUST enough to swing the nose so you can see the runway in front.then throttle off and brake to sit in line

dont roll forward and stop as AI or your mates will think your taking off and plough into the back of you

2) NORMAL AIRFIELDS

when runway is clear then

put full right rudder and swing nose slowly until lined up with centre of runway

lock tailwheel

put flaps to takeoff

most planes and especially spitfires will dip their nose on takeoff so put in a little uptrim

if you use manual prop pitch make sure it is at 100%

throttle up smoothly ( if you slam the throttle forward you will swing more)

the planes nose

hopefully some of our JO chaps can have a look over this and give it the benifit of their experience and training as they do a bit of this there

I remember the theory well - the practical application is still subject to much practice....

So here's my two 'pennorth:

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Delta, nice post M8, you just about covered everything :)

oldtimer sir, you raised the only other thing I would add M8 !! Excellent LOL

"Dirty" stall speed is very important to know for each aircraft type.

As you know it's the minimum speed at which the bloody thing will fly so its useful for both take off and landing.

Equally important for a trouble free take off is knowing at what speed the tail wheel will lift with the trim settings you have selected.

This is even more important when you have your tailwheel locked because being locked, the tailwheel will not allow all of the yaw movement due to the Torque and "P" factor until the moment it lifts off the ground !

At this point if you have too much rudder input then the resultant snap yaw will induce pitch change and may result in a bent prop or worse !

The way to counter this is to watch your speed and ease off on your rudder input just before the tail wheel lifts..... easy ! LOL

Hope thats useful .

~S~ Painless

I would add that you can use side slip to bleed off speed if your coming in to hot. This technique is especially useful if your damaged, low on fuel, impatient, etc. and can't or don't want to make a go-'round.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

Dam good information all of it ! (nice table SkyPup) ;)

Bucky M8, yup thats what "Dirty" is alright , "Clean" being gear up/flaps up.

The "clean" stall speed gets faster the higher you go until it matches the maximum possible forward speed of the aircraft.

This is by definition the planes "ceiling"

This maximum forward/level speed,(usually quoted @ sea level), gets slower as you go over a certain altitude.

This is because the engine likes "thick" air LOL

Thus , on a graph drawn with clean stall speed , max forward speed, and altitude, you end up with a flight "Envelope"