Major scary problem

FlatSpinMan

As you can tell, something BAAAAD is happening with my PC. Three times it has just cut out on me in the last two days. Today when I started it up it brought up DOS saying "BIOS ROM Error. Please insert system disk". I don't know what tha t means so I turned it off and restarted. All was fine except for the error message. "Windows has recovered from a serious problem". Not good! Then when I did the Erro Report thing I got this cheerful info:

======

Problem caused by computer hardware

This problem was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error that caused the operating system to stop functioning.

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.

Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.

Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

Random Access Memory (RAM)

System board

Central Processing Unit (CPU)

Power supply

===============

That was the second time I've seen that message!

Everything I value is backed up but I really can't afford for this PC to go down. Well I could but I really don't want to pay for it to go down is perhaps a more honest answer.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I just looked at a PC site. These specs sound good to me and the price is much lower than I thought. Does it look good/upgradeable?

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 G0 Step 2.4GHz (Quad Core / L2 Cache 4MB x2)

Intel® P35 Express Chipset ATX Form Motherboard

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (800MHz/ Dual Channel enabled)

500GB Serial ATA II HDD (7200rpm/ 16MB)

nVIDIA GeForce 8600GT Graphics Card (256MB/ PCI Express)

Super Multi DVD Rewriter (DVD±R 18x/ DVD-RAM 12x/ Dual Layer

Thanks for the replies guys, even yours VT - that'd be my reply to you as well cos I know nothing about this stuff.

The specs I posted do seem good but the price is suspicously reasonable - JPY114,000 (about US$1100). No monitor or OS included but I have them already and don't want Visdta yet from what I hear. Just wondering why it is this price. I was expecting it would be arounf Y200,000.

Sound card is an excellent idea - I'd forgotten about that again.

Crash - I would but then I'd presumably have to know what a BIOS was so I think I'll either take it to a shop oir else use it until it dies. My wife issurprisigly willing to upgrade though so I figure this could be a blessing in disguise. The only catch is that she insists on

• 1. DDz Quorum

the bios (basic/base/begginging input output system (i think)) is what the pc reads when it first boots up. its what gets the pc going.

when you have a look inside on the motherboard there is a large button battery, like the ones that go in watches etc, just bigger. it keepsthe clock running etc when the pc is powered off.

i have had this option reccommended to me before to solve another sort of problem. i did not need to do it in the end.

if you do remove it and replace it, when the pc next boots you will be prompeted to re-set the date and time and it may take a few moments do some checking i believe.

i would add that i have never actually removed one !

• 1. DDz Quorum

Battery failure would be normally evidenced by the clock losing time, most evident immediately after boot before windows has had a chance to have a tete a tete with a time server.

Removal of the battery to reset CMOS requires the battery to be out of the system long enough for the capacitors to discharge too.

This sounds like your board failed to initialise your hard drive in time, what does your event log tell you under 'system tab'.

start->run 'eventvwr' hit enter/return.

Are there any yellow or red flagged events?

Woohoo!

I followed your instructions and found errors reoccurring as below:

This one happend often

Error - Service Control Manager - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

kl1

Warning - Tcpip - TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

I figure the latter relates just to net stuff. The first doesn't mean a great deal to me, I must admit. The first error type happened four times today if that is of any significance.

• 1. DDz Quorum

KL1, are you using Zonealarm?

At least there are no disk read/write errors :)

Yes the latter is net stuff.

Have you done a chkdsk?

Your error is starting to sound like it is power related though, system is booting fine now?

Yeah I am using ZoneAlarm actually. Any other ceommendations for a free firewall? I haven't done a chkdsk yet but I'm assuming I just type that into the Run box, yeah?

The system is operating as usual now. It seems to go that way. Two or three problmes one day then nothing for a week or two and then something else happens.

• 1. DDz Quorum
I haven't done a chkdsk yet but I'm assuming I just type that into the Run box, yeah?

type: chkdsk c: /R

It will tell you it needs to schedule this for the next restart, type 'Y'.

This will take a while to complete, so pick your time to restart!