DCS MP Server: Grayflag

DD_Fenrir

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi all,

I suggested t'other night the possibility of investigating Grayflag server.

To provide some further info, Grayflag is brought to you by Graywo1f (voice of JesterAI) and Grimes (core-engine-development-via-DCS-Scripting and curator of SLmod and MIST).

Grayflag is a hardcore persistent multiplayer Coop campaign, with campaigns available on Syria, Persian Gulf and Mariannas maps.

Experience a moving front line as BLUEFOR have a number of progessive objectives to capture across each map.  The enemy (AI) forces will attempt to resupply and reinforce their positions and even launch counter offensives, as players attempt to push the front line farther into enemy territory.

As you and your teammates set up BLUEFOR ground units to invade/capture objectives or defend with CTLD troops/vehicles, you won't have to worry about them disappearing after a server restart or crash! Their position will be saved when the server restarts and you log back into this persistent battlefield.

Grayflag is a player driven campaign in an open ended sandbox. You and your friends will fight how you want to fight to complete the objectives while utilizing your own tactics and mission planning to strike targets across the entire map. The enemy will do its best to react to the changing battlefield as you and your friends complete taskings/objectives. This mission features the Combined Arms module by allowing the player to bring whatever they want to the fight. Have a few player helicopters bring you a mortar squad next to an objective? Want a friendly SAM network set up to cover an area? Go for it, and it will all save in the mission state.

Server & Mods

As a guide to how you play:

For more in depth guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14jNUFLPIWb41ctWJa_SiH6-FkWhgwuCBTrTVTlN_Xpo/edit

For some more in depth info on the background of how it's put together:

If any one is interested in bundling on their server one eve, let me know.

• Like 3

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute @DD_Fenrir

I think this would be an excellent idea now that we are all getting more proficient and experienced in our chosen plane sets and would be another element to the DCS experience.

Count me in.

PPS I would also like to try and experience SRS at some point as well, perhaps on our own servers at first.

• 1. DDz Quorum
5 minutes ago, Friar said:

Count me in.

PPS I would also like to try and experience SRS at some point as well, perhaps on our own servers at first.

Great! 

I echo your last, think a few would benefit froma reminder of how to best utilise it. For what we do in the Dogz, it's not that pertinent but almost all other MP server utilise it so being able to use it will help you should you want to see what the grass is like in the wider DCS multiplayer universe.

It is a great piece of tech and having used it exclusively for comms with CVW-17, once you have it suitcased it's a very reliable and useful tool and is very immersive.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Myself and @fruitbat with the assistance of @DD_Fenrir got SRS installed and working during last nights DCS session. 

It does add another level of immersion to the sim and would recommend you get it installed.

It can sit along side TeamSpeak, we are not replacing it, as we will use that for "lobby" type chat before getting into SRS comms mode.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have downloaded and installed the Hercules mod and it certainly looks good. I have not flown it yet but you can open doors and load cargo of all sorts ( @Sid right up your strasse )

I have downloaded the skin packs which are massive and just picked out 1 for the RAF and 1 for USA Marines.

I think this will be a fun addition.

P.S I tried to get an AI vehicle to drive up into the back but it wanted to go around but I would like to try this out with someone to see what will happen :) (I need someone to have the plane and open the cargo doors  so I can jump in a vehicle and have a go.)

C130.JPG

UK-USA Skin.zip

• 1. DDz Quorum

So…

Colin and I tested out the Grayflag Syria COIN server yesterday.

Pros: everyone on there seemed to be there for the right reasons, coordinating as best they could and pushing objectives; the core architecture works well and seems to do what it’s supposed to in terms of functionality and logging and progressing the map accordingly, also regular AI interceptors performing QRA launches to keep things interesting A2A.

Cons: Laggy. Very laggy. Regular stutters and pauses for me throughout our 2-3 hours online and no improvement over time. Was killed in a low altitude BFM engagement when a 1-3 second pause resulted in a loss of control and a subsequent crash into terrain.

Worth trying their PG map as perhaps the combination of Syria plus all their scripts plus server ping was to blame; PG might be lighter on demands…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...