Setting your dynamic IP using servegame.org

Blairgowrie

This post is primarily for Painless but applies to others like.......... (DOUBLETAP you hear me?). It really doesn't matter if your IP is static or dynamic. This baby works both ways which should appeal to a lot of you riff-raff.

To start the process go here:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmm.

If like Painless, and indeed Doubletap, you have a dynamic ip then you also need to do one of two things:

1. Configure your router to use DynDNS, with your account details there.

or

2. Download the DynDNS Windows Client Tool.

If using this through a router you will need to configure it for looking up your IP from an external source.

Hmm.

If like Painless, and indeed Doubletap, you have a dynamic ip then you also need to do one of two things:

1. Configure your router to use DynDNS, with your account details there.

or

2. Download the DynDNS Windows Client Tool.

If using this through a router you will need to configure it for looking up your IP from an external source.

In other words, this is a bigger pain in the ass than BG let on...Dammit!

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ I v'e just this minute finished following the steps in bg's post. I now have painless.servegame.org as my IP ( I think)

I might need a talk through to do the other bit Rog ??

Salute!

This looks like something that may help me. Now, I aint the sharpest crayon in the box boyz, so can you tell me if this will enable me to host on HyperLobby, and how? I've never been able to do this before because my router just won't let me, In fact, I could never host on IP either.

S!

I have a "2WIRE", and I've been round & round with them and the ISP. They tell me the router DOES NOT support port-forwarding, and boy they weren't kidding! I think I've tried just about everything, and it looks like I should be saving my pennies for a new router if i want to host.

• 1. DDz Quorum

They tell me the router DOES NOT support port-forwarding, and boy they weren't kidding! I think I've tried just about everything, and it looks like I should be saving my pennies for a new router if i want to host.

No port forwarding = no hosting I'm afraid.

Routers are very cheap these days, are you ADSL or Cable?

If Cable then you can get one that will port forward for little more than a round at the pub (but only if BG isn't there :);)).

I recommend Linksys or Netgear personally.

• 7 months later...

Just dragged this topic up again as I am trying to host a co-op with a friend over here in Japan. I don't have a router, I'm just trying to create a game through IL2's Multiplayer Option. I checked my IP address in two ways and came up with two different answers. One I found via a website but that may be a proxy server (I assume this is my ISP's IP or else a dynamic IP - yeah?) and the other by doing a search on my PC. I forget the command now but something like "pconfig". Anyway, the end result was the same. My m8 couldn't join.

-Would the website mentioned above work for my situation?

-Any other ideas?

- I tried to download Co-ops or in fact anything from the vault but it kept saying I didn't have permission or words to that effect.

Just dragged this topic up again as I am trying to host a co-op with a friend over here in Japan. I don't have a router, I'm just trying to create a game through IL2's Multiplayer Option. I checked my IP address in two ways and came up with two different answers. One I found via a website but that may be a proxy server (I assume this is my ISP's IP or else a dynamic IP - yeah?) and the other by doing a search on my PC. I forget the command now but something like "pconfig". Anyway, the end result was the same. My m8 couldn't join.

-Would the website mentioned above work for my situation?

-Any other ideas?

- I tried to download Co-ops or in fact anything from the vault but it kept saying I didn't have permission or words to that effect.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi FSM.

So you have a modem?

Running IPCONFIG /all will show the IP address of your PC.

If it is 10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x or 169.x.x.x then it is a private IP address and not visible to the world.

Checking your IP against a web site may only reveal a proxy IP address, this address belongs to a server your ISP uses to cache web pages.

I show you as having a 221.x.x.x IP address, and this does not appear to be a proxy.

So you need to check that your firewall is not blocking port 21000 UDP and TCP.

Regarding the 'no access' or permission for the vault:

Please log out on the homepage for the web site, then log back in again.

You will know it is working properly when you can see the TS server on the homepage.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi FSM.

So you have a modem?

Running IPCONFIG /all will show the IP address of your PC.

If it is 10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x or 169.x.x.x then it is a private IP address and not visible to the world.

Checking your IP against a web site may only reveal a proxy IP address, this address belongs to a server your ISP uses to cache web pages.

I show you as having a 221.x.x.x IP address, and this does not appear to be a proxy.

So you need to check that your firewall is not blocking port 21000 UDP and TCP.

Regarding the 'no access' or permission for the vault:

Please log out on the homepage for the web site, then log back in again.

You will know it is working properly when you can see the TS server on the homepage.

Thanks B16Enk. I used the ipconfig thing you mentioned and my IP is 192 something. The one you mentioned satarting with 221... must be provided by my ISP. So which one should I enter in the server address box?

I checked my system for a modem and found this - "Realtek RTL8193/810xFamily fast Ethernet NIC". Can I assume this is my Modem? What am I supposed to do with it?

I thought setting this up would be kind of easy - certainly looks it when you go through the steps in the menu.

I have connected to HL and other games via IP before and I have allowed IL2 access through my FireWall (I THINK - that's what seems to be indicated and what I tried to do before). Is that all I need to do, or should I get one of those servgame things??

Any help would be great.

Jude

Thanks B16Enk. I used the ipconfig thing you mentioned and my IP is 192 something. The one you mentioned satarting with 221... must be provided by my ISP. So which one should I enter in the server address box?

I checked my system for a modem and found this - "Realtek RTL8193/810xFamily fast Ethernet NIC". Can I assume this is my Modem? What am I supposed to do with it?

I thought setting this up would be kind of easy - certainly looks it when you go through the steps in the menu.

I have connected to HL and other games via IP before and I have allowed IL2 access through my FireWall (I THINK - that's what seems to be indicated and what I tried to do before). Is that all I need to do, or should I get one of those servgame things??

Any help would be great.

Jude

• 1. DDz Quorum

Servegame would be the easiest option m8.

What does your internet connection terminate in, and how does it connect with your PC?

Sounds like the modem is an external device, and it has given you a 192.168.x.x address.

What happens if you try to view 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your web browser? (the 1.1 or 0.1 will depend on what your IP address is when you do ipconfig /all if it is 192.168.0.x then use the 192.168.0.1 in your browser).

Registering at DynDNS and downloading the utility you run on your PC will solve having to work out what your IP is, and when it changes as it is likely to do, it will update automatically.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Servegame would be the easiest option m8.

What does your internet connection terminate in, and how does it connect with your PC?

Sounds like the modem is an external device, and it has given you a 192.168.x.x address.

What happens if you try to view 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your web browser? (the 1.1 or 0.1 will depend on what your IP address is when you do ipconfig /all if it is 192.168.0.x then use the 192.168.0.1 in your browser).

Registering at DynDNS and downloading the utility you run on your PC will solve having to work out what your IP is, and when it changes as it is likely to do, it will update automatically.

I`m just going to nod knowledgeably at this stage and pretend I know what you mean. How do you know all this stuff?!Your explanation was clear, just I lack the knowledge of this kind of stuff to make full use of it. I`ll go ahead and try that servgame thing as that sounds like a good option. Thanks again for all your help. If you happen to be awake at about 9pm Japan Time some day come fly with me.

I`m just going to nod knowledgeably at this stage and pretend I know what you mean. How do you know all this stuff?!Your explanation was clear, just I lack the knowledge of this kind of stuff to make full use of it. I`ll go ahead and try that servgame thing as that sounds like a good option. Thanks again for all your help. If you happen to be awake at about 9pm Japan Time some day come fly with me.

• 1. DDz Quorum

IP Addressing was explained to me many years ago like this:

Data is like a letter in the mail.

When you send it you have to do two things (aside from put it in the post box).

1. Put the address for which it is destined on/at the front.

2. Put the sending address on the back/at the end.

The address is made up of four elements, each separated by a dot '.'

The first, or the first and second, or first second and third parts are the area, and street/road.

The remainder is the house number.

When you post the data your PC looks at the address, if the address is destined for a non private address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 169.254.x.x or 127.x.x.x) it knows it has to be sent to a 'post office' (a router).

The 'post office' looks at the address, checks the area section to see if it is destined for an address in it's neighbourhood - if it is it will send it to the address using an address book it has created through communicating with those addresses, otherwise it will talk to other 'Post Offices' and ask them if they have the area in their address books.

One will respond and the 'letter' is forwarded, the receiving post office may only know that other post offices in its address book have knowledge of the area, so the package gets forwarded until it finally arrives at the post office in the area that serves the intended address.

The return address is used to reciprocate from either the recipient, or to tell the sender the recipient has moved without leaving a forwarding address.

Your first post office is usually a x.x.x.1 address, although in corporate environments this could be configured differently.

Public routers can have any IP address.

Local addresses cannot be routed, they are for internal networks only.

Proxies are used by ISPs to reduce bandwidth usage by caching commonly requested pages and serving those to requesting clients, this can result in your IP address appearing to be different to what it really is.

A good tool to use is 'nslookup'.

Typing that in a command console (dos box) starts your DNS querying tool, by entering an IP address the DNS server will request the friendly name associated with that IP address, and return it to you. (you would enter for instance the IP address that appears to be your own).

Hopefully ISPs use a meaningful name in the proxy name, and you can then determine if you are using a proxy.

• 1. DDz Quorum

IP Addressing was explained to me many years ago like this:

Data is like a letter in the mail.

When you send it you have to do two things (aside from put it in the post box).

1. Put the address for which it is destined on/at the front.

2. Put the sending address on the back/at the end.

The address is made up of four elements, each separated by a dot '.'

The first, or the first and second, or first second and third parts are the area, and street/road.

The remainder is the house number.

When you post the data your PC looks at the address, if the address is destined for a non private address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 169.254.x.x or 127.x.x.x) it knows it has to be sent to a 'post office' (a router).

The 'post office' looks at the address, checks the area section to see if it is destined for an address in it's neighbourhood - if it is it will send it to the address using an address book it has created through communicating with those addresses, otherwise it will talk to other 'Post Offices' and ask them if they have the area in their address books.

One will respond and the 'letter' is forwarded, the receiving post office may only know that other post offices in its address book have knowledge of the area, so the package gets forwarded until it finally arrives at the post office in the area that serves the intended address.

The return address is used to reciprocate from either the recipient, or to tell the sender the recipient has moved without leaving a forwarding address.

Your first post office is usually a x.x.x.1 address, although in corporate environments this could be configured differently.

Public routers can have any IP address.

Local addresses cannot be routed, they are for internal networks only.

Proxies are used by ISPs to reduce bandwidth usage by caching commonly requested pages and serving those to requesting clients, this can result in your IP address appearing to be different to what it really is.

A good tool to use is 'nslookup'.

Typing that in a command console (dos box) starts your DNS querying tool, by entering an IP address the DNS server will request the friendly name associated with that IP address, and return it to you. (you would enter for instance the IP address that appears to be your own).

Hopefully ISPs use a meaningful name in the proxy name, and you can then determine if you are using a proxy.

EDIT: What follows is probably very rambling and repetitive - I was half asleep when I typed it. Still am in fact.

-------------------------------------------------

Okay. Just tried out the DynDNS site and have in theory set up a server under the name flatspinman.servegame.org

I have tried the test they have on their website to see if it is operating properly but I get a Timed Out message. This means that either my firewall or my ISP is blocking it right? The have a tool on their site called the Open Port Tool which I tried and it kept coming up with Timed Out. I was trying to access my server using ports 21, 80, and 21000 (I;ve seen that with other people's IL2 servers and that's the one that is on display in my IL2Set Up screen). Each time it came up with the same TimedOut message. I checked my firewall - ZoneAlarm free version and tried to find what it's allowing through but I find the display of info quite unhelpful. There are ticks and crosses to indicate if things are allowed or not but I can't find anything about ports.

The firewall info divides into two sections - Access and Server. Server allows applications to passively listen for incoming connections from the internet or network according to the blurb.  Access lets it actively search for info from the network or the internet.

That sounds like I need to open it up to allow both Access and Server full access through the firewall as I'd need to send and recieve info while hosting, right?

When I try doing that it seems to make no difference to the ability of the Open Port Tool to get through, even if I try different suffixes like, 21, 80, 21000. Those were some options on the page.

This is way above me. I don't even know if the IP I'm using is the right one for hosting or not. Every time I check my IP externally it comes back with the same 221.250.xxx.xxx number so that's the one I used but no joy.

Okay, it's late here now and I am tired and not making a lot of sense so I'm turning in.

I'll try to summarize before I do though.

I have made a game server - flatspinman.servegame.org. I used the IP address which starts with 221.250.... as that is the one that DynDNS website found for me and it matches the one that nslookup found too. This IP is also labelled buffalo.setup if I use nslookup.

I also have another IP (192.168.xx.x )which is labelled variously "default server address' or "Default gateway Account". I gather this is my internal IP address. The one that needs to be connected is the 221... one though, isn't it?

If I try to access my server externally by using the tools they have I get a "Can't Connect. Timed Out" message.

If I tick the fields in the firewall control panel is the DynDNS program free to go in and out of my firewall? I have done this but it doesn't seem to get through.

"An attempted connection to 221.250.245.115:21 timed out. This typically indicates that traffic to that port is being actively blocked by either a firewall or your ISP."

That is the message I receive each time. I don't know how to proceed from this point.

Anywy, as I said, I'm really tired now and not really sure what's going on. If this makes any kind of sense and you have some idea of what to do please let me know. Don't worry too much though as the server is just something I'd do for fun and isn't reall that necessary as there already doxens of existing ones on HL.