Setting your dynamic IP using servegame.org

Blairgowrie

EDIT: What follows is probably very rambling and repetitive - I was half asleep when I typed it. Still am in fact.

-------------------------------------------------

Okay. Just tried out the DynDNS site and have in theory set up a server under the name flatspinman.servegame.org

I have tried the test they have on their website to see if it is operating properly but I get a Timed Out message. This means that either my firewall or my ISP is blocking it right? The have a tool on their site called the Open Port Tool which I tried and it kept coming up with Timed Out. I was trying to access my server using ports 21, 80, and 21000 (I;ve seen that with other people's IL2 servers and that's the one that is on display in my IL2Set Up screen). Each time it came up with the same TimedOut message. I checked my firewall - ZoneAlarm free version and tried to find what it's allowing through but I find the display of info quite unhelpful. There are ticks and crosses to indicate if things are allowed or not but I can't find anything about ports.

The firewall info divides into two sections - Access and Server. Server allows applications to passively listen for incoming connections from the internet or network according to the blurb.  Access lets it actively search for info from the network or the internet.

That sounds like I need to open it up to allow both Access and Server full access through the firewall as I'd need to send and recieve info while hosting, right?

When I try doing that it seems to make no difference to the ability of the Open Port Tool to get through, even if I try different suffixes like, 21, 80, 21000. Those were some options on the page.

This is way above me. I don't even know if the IP I'm using is the right one for hosting or not. Every time I check my IP externally it comes back with the same 221.250.xxx.xxx number so that's the one I used but no joy.

Okay, it's late here now and I am tired and not making a lot of sense so I'm turning in.

I'll try to summarize before I do though.

I have made a game server - flatspinman.servegame.org. I used the IP address which starts with 221.250.... as that is the one that DynDNS website found for me and it matches the one that nslookup found too. This IP is also labelled buffalo.setup if I use nslookup.

I also have another IP (192.168.xx.x )which is labelled variously "default server address' or "Default gateway Account". I gather this is my internal IP address. The one that needs to be connected is the 221... one though, isn't it?

If I try to access my server externally by using the tools they have I get a "Can't Connect. Timed Out" message.

If I tick the fields in the firewall control panel is the DynDNS program free to go in and out of my firewall? I have done this but it doesn't seem to get through.

"An attempted connection to 221.250.245.115:21 timed out. This typically indicates that traffic to that port is being actively blocked by either a firewall or your ISP."

That is the message I receive each time. I don't know how to proceed from this point.

Anywy, as I said, I'm really tired now and not really sure what's going on. If this makes any kind of sense and you have some idea of what to do please let me know. Don't worry too much though as the server is just something I'd do for fun and isn't reall that necessary as there already doxens of existing ones on HL.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ports 21, 80 and 21000 will only respond if there is a server waiting to respond.

Port 21 is FTP and will only respond if you have an FTP server running.

Port 80 is HTTP and will only respond if you have a web server running.

Port 21000 as we all know is IL2, and again this will only respond if the game server is up and running.

Zonealarm should be configured to allow IL2FB to accept connections from the internet zone.

Zonealarm logs connection attempts that are refused, check your log for these events.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ports 21, 80 and 21000 will only respond if there is a server waiting to respond.

Port 21 is FTP and will only respond if you have an FTP server running.

Port 80 is HTTP and will only respond if you have a web server running.

Port 21000 as we all know is IL2, and again this will only respond if the game server is up and running.

Zonealarm should be configured to allow IL2FB to accept connections from the internet zone.

Zonealarm logs connection attempts that are refused, check your log for these events.

• 1 month later...

As some of you know, my regular game IP, bg.servegame etc, would not work yesterday. Fortunately, my numerical IP was still working and I was able to host.

It appears that my bg. servegame account was cancelled without prior notice. I was able to create a new account with all the same details as before. I have sent Dyndns an email asking how much it would l cost to upgrade my account so that this does happen again.

Since this has happened to me it may happen to those of you who are registered with Dyndns.

I'll post back when I get a reply to my email.

I can't figure out how much it will cost to upgrade. Can you?

"I use Blairgowrie as my username for bg.servegame.org. In the

last couple of days my account was cancelled but I was able to

reinstate it. I have a static IP 64.235.100.205 and use your

service for hosting a flight simulator game.

What is the cost of making sure I don't lose my account again?

And how do I go about doing this on your website?

Many thanks

Jim Smith"

REPLY FROM DYNDNS

It appears that your DynamicDNS host expired due to inactivity. Please

note that while you may have been actively using your hostname, we have

no way of measuring that traffic. The only way to measure activity is to

check the updates done to your hostname. If a hostname is not updated in

35 days, it is considered inactive and is deleted. This goes for static

hosts as well: http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/static ... _life.html

To prevent DynamicDNS host expirations, you may wish to consider

purchasing an Account Upgrade.

Took some figuring out and its not as straight forward as you may thing but here is what is actually on the site when you click Add to Cart:

Upgrades You Have:

None

Upgrades To Add:

Billing Period:

1 Year ($11.50)

2 years ($23.00)

5 years ($57.50)

Check your router though.