Sad Times At Duxford.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

I see from some of the aviation forums that P-51C "Princess Elizabeth" has been containerised for her trip home to the US so it looks like she won't be staying after all...Worse still is that P-47G (known to all as 'Snafu') also looks to be in the early stages of being dismanted for departure as she is rumoured to have been sold and will be heading overseas. It should be added though that this may just be part of an exchange visit the first part of which bought the Mustang here from the US earlier this year. Conjecture and supposition is rife...

On a more positive note and much as I would hate to see Snafu depart, this would leave (lots) more space in TFC's hangars for restoration to re-start in earnest on the Sea Fury (don't forget they have both a two-seat and a single-seat variants) and also the CR42 (which is unique) plus the Hellcat to come back on stream too. Other rumours are also surfacing about potential new acquisitions for the company (all highly speculative) - there are some very interesting aircraft coming up for sale right now, for example there is a certain Mosquito and a 'proper' BF-109 ('E' I think) amongst a significant number of others.

Bear in mind that with Stephen Gray no longer involved in display flying, the bar on multi-engined aircraft in the collection may well be lifted - you never know!

Jabo

Mosquito please! Sell the Beaufighter if they must. I wanna hear two merlins in close proximity :-)

Although it's a shame to see Snafu go, it is exciting to think what else could be round the corner. TFC should be praised for bringing such variety to these shores over the last quarter century or so.

• 2. Administrators

You and I might fall out about the Beaufighter Chris! Sell it indeed. Humph. Much as it wood (lol) be nice to see a Mossie back in UK skies, the Beau is a much rarer proposition overshadowed as it was by the Mosquito (in the ETO anyway).

Jabo

Don't get me wrong mate, the beau is a beau for sure! But they've had such trouble sourcing powerplants etc, I just think perhaps it should move on to somewhere or someone who'll finish the job (if they can!). It's so close, yet so far.

Maybe your mate Kermit should snap it up?!

*runs for cover...!* :)

• 2. Administrators

Not rising to that Chris! Apparently though there are early model herc engines starting to surface in aus and nz and I understand that tfc are making enquiries in that area

• 2. Administrators

As I understand it Bongo, the problem is due to the fact that the nacelles, engine mounts and plumbing are/were designed specifically for the early Herc which precludes them being re-engined with something from P&W for example without major rework. It also means that late model Hercs (from, for example, a Hastings) cannot be used either. That said, there are photos around showing Beaufighters with merlins! Mark II's I think

• 2. Administrators

Confirmed on the TFC website - Snafu is being dismantled for transportation, although whether or not this is for good is still not known. :icon_sad:

Edit: As of this weekend, there is a large P-47G-shaped hole in Hangar 2 North. Assuming she's not been buried somewhere on the airfield then I think it's safe to assume that 'Snafu' is on her way back across the pond. Look after her guys!

Jabo

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it Bongo, the problem is due to the fact that the nacelles, engine mounts and plumbing are/were designed specifically for the early Herc which precludes them being re-engined with something from P&W for example without major rework. It also means that late model Hercs (from, for example, a Hastings) cannot be used either. That said, there are photos around showing Beaufighters with merlins! Mark II's I think

seems a bit of an oversight to undertake a restoration like that without considering the source for something as critical as a powerplant, it's a shame and made all the more frustrating when you can go to military shows and see somebody firing up a herc on a trailer.

• 2. Administrators

Good point Bongo, plus, if she sits around for much longer the restoration will need restoring. Hopefully the ongoing enquiries in Oz and NZ will turn something up.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Nick

There are rumored to be AT LEAST 20 Bristol Hercules  engines in reinforced crates buried under Predeeb "katmando" Johnson's spicy chicken retail outlet in Naypyidaw, Burmah.

I bet you, didn't know that : )

P.

• 2 weeks later...

RE 'SNAFU', had a word with my colleague from the Fighter collection and he was not under the impression of any impending export, he did go on to say that Stephen Grey never tells him anything but this guy should be in a fairly good position to know the intimacies of what goes on, he said he would let me know if he finds anything out.

• 2. Administrators

Thanks for that Bongo, although if your contact does come up with anything, wr should discuss that in the private areas of the forum. Would hate to see someone get into trouble for passing on information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Sadly, the rumours appear to be true. According to this month's 'Flypast' magazine, P-47G 'Snafu' has been purchased by a private owner in California. Looks like her sortie to the US is a one-way trip :notfair:

On the other hand, what will TFC do with all that extra space in Hangar 2?

Jabo