That Or The Other One?

Dagger

A working joystick for sure.

But you don't need a $300.00 one.

I have an X-45 that was $70.00 when it was new like 8 years ago. I still use its throttle, and the stick as a button bay.

And Ch pedals, plus an older TIR3 pro

Oh, not bragging, but I've won Joint ops Top gun two years running with older cheaper equipment.

I fly with a Microsoft force feedback stick USB version. The last one I bought used off ebay, for less than $50.00 shipped, just grabbed one for my Dad last week for $36.00 shipped, the same way.

My first one lasted 8 years of heavy use,

But beyond that, if you already have a working stick, I'd buy TrackIr.

Once you use it, and get accustom to it, if your one of the people that has to get used it. You will not enjoy any other simulation with out its support. Guaranteed!!!!

I personally think that the situational awareness that TrackIR provides is most important. Also, it frees up 4 buttons for views from any joystick. So, I would go with TrackIR and a cheap joystick if that was all that I could afford for now. And get a good stick later.

That said, there are may awesome pilots who still don't use TrackIR, and use the hat on their stick. So, it's a personal decision. But I love my TrackIR! :bow:

I'll go with the track IR crowd on this one, though not if you don't have a stick at all! A decent stick is mandatory, even an x 52 can be had for less than $100 now. I would say that Track IR is the biggest game changer though, as it really starts feeling like your there when you can just look around. One caveat though, most people take quite some time to get used to it, and it takes some time and patience to get it "dialed in". If you have an inexpensive stick, and go for the TIR, I'd say next purchase should be a throttle-stick combo (like the x52), then probably rudder pedals after that.

1. First you have to get off the ground so you need a stick.

2. Then you need to see the bad guy. Some kind of head tracking. TrackIR or Freetrack.

3. Then you need to shoot him down - rudder pedals make that much easier.

The rest is just for comfort - fancy stick and throttle with all the buttons.

In my opinion.

Start with an OK stick.

Next - Track IR

Then - Rudder pedals

Last - Throttle(or upgrade to a stick/throttle combo like an X52).

If you're even the least bit handy (can handle soldering 3 LED's to wire) a Freetrack setup can be made for less than $50, possibly a lot less($10) if you have an old webcam lying around.

That would save you enough $ to have a good stick like an X52 and maybe even rudder pedals too.

I've had mine for almost 2 years and in some ways it's more capable than real TrackIR.

We can do things with ours that the official can't like simulate raising your seat higher for a better view over the nose.

If you just want to unpack the box and plug and play, Freetrack is NOT for you.