Overclockers.co.uk Bundles?

GreyKnight

I switched on my PC this morning and got 7 beeps and nothing, blank screen. I took out 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM out a time and tried booting again, same problem.

So I took my 6 month's old nVidia GTX 275 card out and took it into work. I plugged it into a work PC to see if this was the cause. But the work PC booted up fine.

:confused3:

Looks like with my AmiBIOS, 7 beeps refers to a CPU problem! :growl:

So it looks like my PC is dead. But my graphics card ain't old, and works fine of course. And when I bought the nVidia card, I also had to buy a beefy Corsair 750W PSU to run it. So I'm looking to go for a new MB & CPU and RAM. I would of liked to have kept the RAM, but I'll go for DDR3 now.

My old CPU was an Intel Q6600 (quad 2.4Ghz) and I like the look of Overclockers.co.uk Bundle here....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OE&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=1677

Replacing the air fan with the Corsair H50 water cooler.

Anyone else have experience with Overclockers? Money is tight and this is the best bundle I could find, even comparing the bits bought individually over here.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Guy here at work (he has flown with us a few times too) bought this bundle.

He has had a bit of a 'mare with it, looks like faulty RAM stick.

But it does put into question the Overclockers pre-build and test regime.

I got a cheap AMD bundle from them that was guaranteed to overclock, but never did...granted it was not a pre-built one like the Intel system you linked to.

Overclockers are very good, RMA is relatively painless, but there may be questions regarding their QA on these OC'd systems...

AMI BIOS Beep Codes

1 Short Beep 	One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on. 
2 Short Beeps 	 Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard. 
3 Short Beeps 	Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. 
4 Short Beeps 	Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. It could also be a bad timer 
5 Short Beeps 	Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade! 
6 Short Beeps 	The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in. 
7 Short Beeps 	Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard. 
8 Short Beeps 	Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Best bet is to install another video card. 
9 Short Beeps 	Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS. 
10 Short Beeps 	Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.
11 Short Beeps 	Your problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps 	You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps 	Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.

7 beep does indeed mean a CPU problem but i would check the MB first. CPU-s are quite rough and are not so easy to fry.

Gotta say i always use Overclockers and have had no problems at all, good service, speedy delivery. PC used atm was built with everything from OC.

If unsure about anything have a look through their forums, but i would certainly recommend OC to friends & family, boils down to personal preferences & choice i suppose

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just got home and tried booting it up once more. But now I realise I get 2 quick beeps, followed by 8 short beeps. So according to Gec's chart, those 8 beeps have something to do with display!?!? But I've tested my nVidia card today at work and it works okay!?!?!

Just got to accept that the MB has MAJOR problems. I can salvage the video card, PSU & HDDs. just need the rest as mentioned.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Do a CMOS reset first mate, usually involves removing the battery and power then shorting 2 pins.

Leave it like that for a while, then clear pins, replace battery and apply power.

Had this happen in the past with Asus boards, and they booted good as gold afterwards.

But then if you need to justify an upgrade... ;)

Gec,

Yeah, that's something I did, several times in fact. But that graphics card works fine when put in to a PC at work.

I ordered this lot from a supplier here in Vienna, since it is cheaper when not having to pay £50 P&P from the UK, and getting a discount.

http://www.ditech.at/artikel/ICI5650/Prozessor_INTEL_Core_i5-650_320GHz_LGA1156_Dual-Core_Boxed.html

http://www.ditech.at/artikel/MGI502/Mainboard_LGA-1156_GIGABYTE_GA-P55-UD5_ATX.html

http://www.ditech.at/artikel/D3QC1B/DDR3-RAM_KIT_4_GB_1333_MHz_CL9_CORSAIR_XMS3_DHX.html

http://www.ditech.at/artikel/WAKC02/Wasserkuehlung_CORSAIR_Cooling_Hydro_Series_H50.html

Now I just need to look at their chassis in their shop, since my current one is tiny and a pain in the ass.