How Do I Set Up Dual Monitors?

Trout

I haven't tried it yet on my own (I'm at work right now).

I recently rediscovered a 19" CRT monitor I forgot I had. Damn storage room needs a cleaning! I currently have a good computer, good video card and a 22" wide screen LCD. I have the desk space available to set up the 2nd monitor beside me, how?

Is it as easy as plugging it in (to the computer or to a connection on my primary LCD??) and it will be automatically detected or something?

Then how do I enable it so I can drag windows from 1 screen to the other? Anything special to be enabled or does it do this automatically?

Thanks.

Hey Trout,

All you should really have to do is plug it into your video card (which you may need a DVI to VGA converter to do)

For Windows XP (and i think vista too):

right click on your desktop, click properties

select the second monitor, adjust the resolution, and check off extend my windows desktop to this monitor

For Windows 7 (cause i cant remember what OS you're on):

right click on the your desktop, click screen resolution

Change Multiple Displays from Duplicate to Extend. Apply changes

Then adjust Resolutions

• 1. DDz Quorum

+1 to Maverick..

You can also drag the screens (in video properties) so they mirror the physical positioning.

For example your 19" may be on the right physically, but the PC configures it as though it is on the left, so you drag the screen icon to set it as it should be.

You also need to set which is the primary display, this is the one on which your Start Menu and task bar appears, and where IL2 will start up.

• 2. Administrators

to add to what the others have said, i'm running a 24inch widescreen with my old 17inch CRT. It was a simple case of plugging it in to the gfx card, and then going to nvidia control panel to manipulate, res etc...

Warning. It is very easy to get use to your new monitor screen real estate!!! "4inch doesn't seem that big anymore, lol.

Interstingly, suffer no loss of fps either, running a gtx280.

4inch doesn't seem that big anymore, lol.

Yeah my wife has been saying that for years.. thumbsd.gif

Ouch. know the feeling. When my wife begs for a full 8", I gotta do it twice.

I found my main LCD monitor has a VGA plug in back. So I plugged my second monitor into there hoping that would work.... lol. No dice. Guess I gotta buy the converter thing Maverick was talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Well slap my ass and call me Suzie! Went looking through my bag of old and various cables - you know how every time you buy something electronic you get lots of various plugs, adaptors, and cables that you don't use? Ya those ones - and guess what I found? Inside the box from my new video card I bought 2 months ago was a little item of joy that brought a glint to my eye. It simpley took my breath away, this wee gem I held, as I flipped it back and forth in my fingers examining the ends.

"No... Friggin'... Way..." I thought. Couple plug-in's later, half-assed follow Mavericks instructions (I'm to pumped now!), jerk my way through the other half and all of a sudden "Ker-Zaaap!" The old lifeless VGA sparks to life. I'm looking at the mirror image of my desktop.

And my wife wonders why I always keep these extra cables and parts. Why? Because once in awhile I pull a miracle outta nowhere. That's why!!

God Save The Queen and long live Nvidia!

• 1. DDz Quorum

And my wife wonders why I always keep these extra cables and parts. Why? Because once in awhile I pull a miracle outta nowhere. That's why!!

We have an HD TV, but of a slightly earlier generation with DV-i inputs.

When our Cable HD and recorder box arrived it was with a little dismay I discovered it was an HDMI output, and the cost of a DV-i to HDMI adapter was stoopid..

Like you I went through one of my many boxes of tat (tut Rog you keep hold of the most worthless junk she says) and lo an behold a recent ATI card came with an HDMI to DVI converter :)

All hail keeping old junk...bow.gif