easy transfer - ain't so freakin' easy! Help.

JensenPark

just trying to transfer from my XP computer to the new Windows 7 beast...

Can't get Windows Easy Transfer to recognize my 'old computer'

keeps sayings 'can't connect to old computer...check to make sure cable plugged in (yup) and software loaded (yup).

driving me bonkers.

Any ideas?

I've switched around the usb ports, so I know it is not that.

Switched the cables around (reversed them...and new computer recognizes both ends...so I know the cable is working)

loaded the software on the old computer.

i'm not sure that easy transfer knows how to use USB connected computers. u should connect them with network cable. if they are connected directly one to each other the cable must be crossower. if there is a switch, hub or router in between then just a standard network cable.

if u do not have LAN u can always make a easy transfer to a file on the local disk or even better on external disk. then connect that disk to new computer and run easy transfer from file.

• 2. Administrators

JP, here's the thing. If you're using the easy transfer cable to go from XP to 7, you need to have the right ETC driver for your XP machine. Just running the software that 7 provides you with won't work. I don't have it here, but I do have a copy at work. If you can hang on, I'll send it to you a little later (I'll be home about 6 this evening - I can walk you through the process via TS if you like).

Basically you install the driver, then the software 7 gives you, then plug the cable in. It's straightforward enough, but is a bit confusing at first sight.

Jabo