Norton Ghost

Blairgowrie

I have been using Norton Ghost to back up my files successfully for several years. But today, when I tried to run it, I get a message saying Net Framework 1 is not installed. I checked in Add or Remove programes and it shows Net Framework 1 is indeed installed. I try reinstalling but same result. So I do a Google and find out that this is a known problem because of a conflict with Net Framework2 and there is no fix available from Norton.

That does it for me with Norton. I'll try Acronis instead.

:bg:    

• 1. DDz Quorum

Snapshot, from Here is a very good program, light weight and has minimal system over head (unlike Ghost).

Cheap, the licence fee is €39 (first time I have used the € symbol

New Egg Canada had Acronis True Image 2009 on sale for $39.99 so I picked it up.

Now my external hard drive seems to have gone tits up. The computer sees it but when I try to access it, it won't read or write or I get write error messages. Then my computer fails to see it anymore. Any tests I can run to confirm it is done or does what I describe, already confirm it?

Looking at a replacement, I realize I know nothing about hard drives. Do I really need an external or would an internal be better? What speed is best? I see they come in 5400 RPM or 7200. Is there a 10000 external?

Go SILLY, BG, you know it makes sense ;)

I never really understood this fetish for external drives, unless they have a SATA II interface and/or are only used for storage. I've always used as fast and large a HD as possible, buried deep inside the best protection as possible, ie a PC. 5 years warranty is good too, and I've never had a Raptor go sideways on me in that period of time.

That said, there may well be some reason why your external drive has gone strange. You wouldn't happen to have placed the Acronis Secure Zone on it, would you?

B

That said, there may well be some reason why your external drive has gone strange. You wouldn't happen to have placed the Acronis Secure Zone on it, would you?

B

I don't think I did but I will see if I can do something else with the HD. I decided to reformat it and that worked ok. Then I started Acronis and set the path to the external HD. After that I tried to back up C: drive and that's when I got the write error.

• 1. DDz Quorum

If you can see the drive in explorer then right click > properties > tools > Check for errors > check now, tick all boxes for repair.

Externals can become corrupt from time to time.

What make/model is it?

You can take it apart, identify the drive inside and buy a suitable replacement.

My Maxtor got pooched (by the dog pulling it off the desk whilst i was running

I didn't realise that Maxtor I linked to, was a terabyte (1,000 gb).

Anyway the Monster arrived yesterday and is now all set up. It is cool to the touch unlike the one a I had before, which was a Vantec. I think it must have a fan inside the case. This one works like a charm so I think it is safe to say the old one had packed it in. Ran Acronis last night and it backed everything up.

This new hard drive came with it's own software for backing up so I didn't really need to use Acronis. But Acronis is so easy to use I am going to stick with it.

Thanks all for your input.