G-50 Slow Muzzle Speed?

DoubleTap

Hey,

While testing flying the G-50, I noticed that the rounds seem to drop off precipitously, almost as if they were cannon rounds. It made trying to hit something tricky. Was this a trick of my eye, or is the velocity of the rounds slower than other MG's. Just curious...

Check out this link: http://www.ww2guide.com/guns.shtml#heavym

I do not know the authority of this site, but the numbers seem reasonable. The slower muzzle velocities (ones by 100 m/s) seem to be the ones that drop considerably. As a former tanker, I can tell you that the modern .50 fires with a very flat trajectory to 1000m, but then drops off considerably. It is useful out to 2000m on a vehicle mount (not a pintle mount, but one with a built in sight, etc.) I was surprised at the mv of the ShVak, as in the game, this weapon seems to fire like a laser! The Safat .50 is as horrible as the 20mm FF, except the FF has its great hitting power.

Check out this link:

I do not know the authority of this site, but the numbers seem reasonable. The slower muzzle velocities (ones by 100 m/s) seem to be the ones that drop considerably. As a former tanker, I can tell you that the modern .50 fires with a very flat trajectory to 1000m, but then drops off considerably. It is useful out to 2000m on a vehicle mount (not a pintle mount, but one with a built in sight, etc.) I was surprised at the mv of the ShVak, as in the game, this weapon seems to fire like a laser! The Safat .50 is as horrible as the 20mm FF, except the FF has its great hitting power.'>http://www.ww2guide.com/guns.shtml#heavym

I do not know the authority of this site, but the numbers seem reasonable. The slower muzzle velocities (ones by 100 m/s) seem to be the ones that drop considerably. As a former tanker, I can tell you that the modern .50 fires with a very flat trajectory to 1000m, but then drops off considerably. It is useful out to 2000m on a vehicle mount (not a pintle mount, but one with a built in sight, etc.) I was surprised at the mv of the ShVak, as in the game, this weapon seems to fire like a laser! The Safat .50 is as horrible as the 20mm FF, except the FF has its great hitting power.

This seems like my experience last night. The curious thing is that I've flown the G50 before, and I never noticed the drop off before. Perhaps it had to do with dogfighting rather than bomber straffing, but it was quite noticable last night.

Thanks for the link!

Notice also that the round is considerably lighter than the .50, that combined with the lower muzzle velocity means much less sustained energy for "reaching out and touching someone"

yeah i find the shvak pretty hard to use because its so accurate, i always factor in drop and there is very little out to even 1000m

nice find mate - deflection and lead can be calculated by knowing mozzle velocity - see here

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/deflection_guide.htm

where he gives examples of difference between 30mm and .50 s

I dont know who can do this in a dogfight situation but will give people a rough idea for increasing/decreasing lead depending on type of gun they are shooting with - bloody zeros need about 2 times normal lead - or just get in CLOSER I suppose

yeah, the safat 12.7mm was notoriously lousy, and wasnt very reliable either. One

wonders why they didnt make us of the german designs like hte japanese did.

just another reason to do as the great aces recomended and shoot only when the enemy

fills your gunsight.

This is the reason i didnt choose to fly the machis any during the fight. lousy guns.

and my gunnery isnt good enough to properly use them. :!: