Velociraptors in the US of A

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Wonder if I could possibly impose on one of my fellow DDz on the other side of the herring pond...I have a requirement (OK, call it 'want') for a WD Velociraptor (pref 300GB) and they're a LOT cheaper over there (despite the exchange rate). Do you chaps know of any suppliers over there who'll ship to the UK? I know Newegg are down to £150, but won't ship :( Any suppliers cheaper?

~S~ Jabo

I checked Zip Zoom Fly Jabo but like NewEgg they will only ship within the US. There is also NCIX http://www.ncixus.com/products/36681/WD3000HLFS/Western%20Digital%20WD/ but I suspect they also only ship within the US.

The other option would be to have it shipped to someone in the US. I know Quazi has done this several times for UK residents. He will repackage it for you and put a low value on the customs declaration. Only problem with this is if it gets lost in transit, insurance would be limited to the declared value.

:bg:

• 2. Administrators

D'you think it's worth the hassle Jim? I'm not sure how much difference it'll make to my PC - The HDD is the bottleneck at present, but perhaps I'd be better off waiting for the prices to fall here and just getting a big standard SATA to tide me over...

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Maybe I've missed the point here, but what's the point of shelling out for a Velociraptor when a bog-standard SATA II drive hits the same 300MBps data transfer rate? So it's just the seek time which is quicker?

Confused of Coventry

• 2. Administrators

And here I thought we would have a discussion in the spirit of amateur paleontology (one of the few fields of science I no knowledge in).

That's what the thread was originally about Jedi, I hijacked it to ask a question about hard disk drives...

• 2. Administrators

Is it worth the hassle? Got to admit I love my 74gb Raptor. I have used less than 50% of the available space and have a hard time figuring why anybody would need a 300GB drive.

Do you have any idea what the Customs Duty would be Nick?

Regretably Jim, I could fill your 74GB drive with my photos, let alone the 50GB of music that I have, plus iso's of all my software etc etc etc. At present, I need around 200GB of storage, let alone the OS and installed software.

I have no idea about the customs duty other than "a lot"

Maybe JP could bring one over. Then it would be worth the hassle just to see him get arrested for smuggling.

LOL

oooh!

• 2. Administrators

Well, abandoned the Velociraptor idea in favour of a pair of 500gb WD RAID III SATA II drives currently running RAID 1(Mirrored) in the PC (the pair cost less than a 150GB VR). This setup now gives me a 5.9 in the Windows Experience Index (overall 5.5 from 5.2 - cpu's the bottleneck now