Jed-Aid

Jediteo

I am contemplating getting a new laptop this easter, and the computer which seem to be the best candidate is.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx%3Fsku%3D407038&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=

[translated]

Seems pretty good to me, A significant improvement of my 1.5ghz core duo, 2gb ram and a nvidia 8400

The price is 11.995 SEK which equals 1300 USD or 900£

Funnily enough, I was helping one of my buddies to choose a lap-top only yesterday.

One item you might want to change is the hard-drive option. 5400 rpm is slow - but you should be able to find 7200rpm drives for a similar price. The one my friend eventually ordered has a 350Gb, 7,200 rpm SATA drive, which should definitely improve loading time. If the order is "customisable" I would consider doing that.

B

I have yet to determine wheter to go for the dell or the Asus, both are the same price, yet the Dell has a better hardrive and ddr3 RAM, while the Asus has a better Gfx card. Decisions Decisions...

I think both of them are good enough for my purposes, general gaming. It cannot be worse than my present laptop. The Dell has 200hz faster RAM and a faster yet smaller HDD, yet the ASUS has a souped up 1 gig Gfx card.

• 2. Administrators

I'm with Jim on this Jedi, the Asus looks to be the better machine. I personally quite like Dell machines, and they build some very nice desktops, but I'm not sure about the laptops - We sell 'em, but I'd rather have an HP or Sony if I didn't want a gaming machine.

~S~ Jabo

• 3 weeks later...

I found the same asus but with 15.4 Inch monitor, which is my current size. It is also a kilo lighter. Anyone familiar with if there is a major difference between a 15.4 and a 17 inch? The extra kilo lighter could be quite good, however, I dont move around my laptop very much.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx%3Fsku%3D437529&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=

Both screens are WXGA+ (1440x900)

Perhaps you should consider doing what I did. Go to a store and have them place a 15 and a 17 side by side with the same resolution you want to buy. They don't have to be Asus. Then visit the places you like to surf, like this website or Ubi Zoo and see what looks best. Also, you might want to try increasing the DPI on each screen and see how that looks. Then politely leave saying you want to think about it.

:bg:

• 2. Administrators

That approach would work for me Jim, but most UK computer shops don't have their display machines connected to t'interweb - not sure about over on the contintent. You're in the UK at present Jedi?

~S~ Jabo.

An alternative option would be to take a copy of a web page in html format, take it to the store on a memory stick and load it up in IE - that might be useful

TFT monitors have something called Native resolution. Meaning: they do not work with the same quality in all resolutions. Every TFT size have it's own native resolution. 15.4" all most always have

Went into currys, which generally only have quite low performance machines, and as Jabo said, they are not plugged into the internet, I did however get a perspektive of the size of the screens, not much difference really. The 17'' is slightly larger, but has a bigger keyboard, and better speakers, and of the two HP machines displayed in curry's, seemed better built. (Might not be applicable the asus machines).

I think I will go for the 17'', sadly no physical store that is in the area back home do not sell any of the asus machines.