once in a while, I love my job... :)

JensenPark

besides the ok pay, free food and booze and other stuff, I have one great fringe benefit running a hotel:

I seem to meet alot of WW2 vets.

Today I was chatting with an older gent from Seattle who was wanting to move out of his (nicer) top floor guest room to get a better harbourview - as he liked watching the seaplanes.

We chatted about the horrible noise they make and how they bother people on the harbour side of the hotel.

"well I'm interested in them as I was a fly boy...was in B17's in the war".

Well - that got him an immediate invite to the grand office for a chat.

He was a Yank who was going to school in the UK since 1933. Had flown since he was 14. Joined the RAF when he was old enough and was in their training program when the US joined the war and started coming over to the UK in droves. He stupidly switched services (his words) and was told to return to the US for pilot training. Worried he'd miss out fighting Nazi's he asked to stay and be posted immediately to whatever the US had. So he flew as a side gunner for a while, and ended up as a bombardier. Did a full tour. Bombed over Germany lots, Holland, France.

Unfortunately he had to leave before I could get him to share more stories.

I thought it was funny - here was was already an experienced pilot - in training with the RAF. He went to the US Embassy and was 'talked into' moving to the US forces. No one told him it meant leaving the UK and going and doing the training in the US. He was so dedicated to the notion of fighting the Nazi's he stayed as a 'mere' gunner rather than leave for a year or so in the US to train.

After the war he ended up in Seattle and spent his entire career with Boeing. Finally flying...

His son, John Roundhill ended up there as well - as quite the famous Exec with Boeing.