cd sound gone crappy!

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

My wife wanted to play a music cd in the computer last night.

We use windows media player v11.

The drive will work for reading data cd's ok

Sound from the computer is fine (i.e game and windows "bings")

When I play music cd's (and have tried 2 or 3) I get a noise on top of the music which sounds like scratchy, pulsating interfearence.

Bit of a long shot, but anyone got any ideas?

• 2. Administrators

Try a different player to identify if there is a problem with Media Player. I use iTunes, but Winamp is good too. I'll be offline for an hour or two while I do a 'quazi' on my PC (still trying to sort out the wireless card, but I'll check back in afterwards.

~S~ Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

There are two methods for getting audio off CDs in computers.

Analogue via a small thin wire, with a 4 pin (I think) plug that plugs into the CD beside the main IDE cable and then into the sondcard.

Alternative (and IMO better) is digital via the IDE cable itself.

Go in to control panel, open Sounds and Audio devices, click on hardware tab then on your CD/DVD drive.

Click properties button, then click properties tab then tick 'Enable digital CD audio for the CD-ROM device'.

Test...

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorted.

just need to double check by using the same cd i used last night (cant get it at the moment as the wife is in the front room having a massage!) but another cd (Will Young- I know, it was from my daughters room) played fine.

I actually dont think I have used this pc (its the one I brought home from work when I left) to play music on since having it home.

That setting change seemed to work.