from a Mossie pilot

JensenPark

Hi, it's jolly_magpie form the Ubizoo. I have chosen a more aggro nick for here.

Thanks tons to jensenpark for the invite! I had a blast....

The Stirling pilot won the DFC on Wellingtons early in the war. From what I was able to gather he did a "dummy" run on a defended target and went around to plaster it on the next pass. He modestly said they seemed to think this was noteworthy!

He was in the very first class of the Empire Air Training Scheme, {later the BCATP} graduating in Nova Scotia. Went straight on to Wellingtons and later flew the Stirling, he talked of the very tall and fragile undercarriage, if you landed it crosswind you had to kick it straight with the rudder before touchdown or you would rip the gear right off! He did over 60 ops to the Reich!

I asked if he saw any enemy A/C and he told me of the dramatic night his mid-upper gunner shot down an Me110.

"We figured he was a sprog pilot, he attacked from underneath with his forward-firing guns, raked our ship and then "popped up" over us. The mid-upper gunner raised his guns straight up and let him have it. I could look up and see his gray belly and big black crosses."

Me: "The rifle caliber guns did not have much hitting power..."

"Well, I saw large chunks coming off with a lot of sparks. Fifteen seconds later we all saw a big flash on the ground as he went in."

After the war his brother did some checking to see who they shot down and it turns out he was a skilled pilot with something like four kills.

As we talked, he indicated the relative position of the A/C with his hands, as did I. Then it hit me....I was doing that "talk with your hands" thing that pilots do...with a real WW2 pilot!! I had chills...

There were two DFC winners in that room...two wartime fighter pilots...one member of the Caterpillar Club...does it get any better than that!?!?!

I also had a nice chat with a charming Dutch lady who as a teenager watched the Brit paratroops descending on her home town...Arnhem!

All in all an amazing day, scarcely touched by the atrocious weather on my drive home.