Windows XP licence

Blairgowrie

I think it is one pc BG....

I had to call to MS because my product# was no good no more, after I re-installed my windows stuff, due to a bug....they asked me why I needed a new #....be prepared dude, they are very suspicious...mwoohahahaha....

• 1. DDz Quorum
Dang! Helen's PC has a hack copy of Windows on it and she is getting ominous messages from Microshaft saying" You may be a victim of a counterfeit version of Windows. Just click here and buy a legal copy."

I read that the 'Legal copy' MS refer to is a discounted price.

Also they are unlikely to take any action, at this time. However critical udates may be withheld...

Shame I didn't get to fly last night, family decided it was more important that I shared their company so my Father, Brother and his daughter decsended upon us...:(

I know of someone who runs two off of the same license...and never had a problem validating them on=line etc. Someone very close to me..

:wink:

From talking with Quaz (king of reformatting and re-installing) once in a while you may have to call in and get your validation 'released' - but you just have to say you were reformatting...

this happened to me actually with Norton. Was real simple.

• 1. DDz Quorum
Good point JP. How would Microshaft know which computer you were reformatting as long as you didn't do them as often as Quazi does..

Well each one has a unique ID that the MS software creates based on the major components.

If this data is then loaded into a database that the activation checks it will be quite clear that there are two or more machines using the same serial.

This is what the 'Genuine Advantage' software does...

Good point JP. How would Microshaft know which computer you were reformatting as long as you didn't do them as often as Quazi does..

Well each one has a unique ID that the MS software creates based on the major components.

If this data is then loaded into a database that the activation checks it will be quite clear that there are two or more machines using the same serial.

This is what the 'Genuine Advantage' software does...

or so they say? It hasn't affected me...er...I mean my friend.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Indeed JP.

As I also said above, they currently are not enforcing it yet...

Downside is you can't get all that groovy and useful free software for 'Genuine Advantage Verified PCs' like the ...erm... Advanced Calculator and, erm....Oh yeah. That's it :lol:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Total posts: 475

[11.42% of total / 3.10 posts per day]

holy cow...you're at 11 1/2 percent of all posts!

Hmmm.

Time I got a life methinks :)

Well, reformatting as much as I have before making a mobo change required me to call in and get Windows activated each time. After installing the new mobo and reinstalling Windows, it activated all by itself. Really strange. Of all the hardware upgrades one can make to cause one to reformat, installing a new mobo is, in the eyes of Microsoft, cause for one to purchase another copy of Windows as they consider it a new build\computer. So I wasn't expecting my copy of Windows to activate. Actually, because of what Rog posted above, I was expecting to call in for a new activation code and be told I had to purchase a new copy of Windows because there had been a major hardware change in my system. But it wasn't and I am not complaining. That just saved me 15 or 20 minutes on the phone with someone from India trying to communicate and understand each other. And with any luck, my reformatting so often is over. Hopefully, I will be able to go back to my every 6 months clean install routine.