Free Web Hosting Reccomendation

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

What do you need web hosting for Colin?

How much space do you need, and how much monthly bandwidth?

Do you need php and MySQL too?

I have a reseller package and can easily create a package for you ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have been asked by someone to help her daughter who is at Uni to put a site togther to display her photographs.

I am not sure yet how many pictures are involved but she is looking to use it professionally.

I have been looking at a site that will do a 1kgb with a free domain name for $35 per year (year 2 onwards) which I did not think was too bad.

Also Roger, whilst I have your attention... have you had a chance to re-set my email yet?

Cheers

Colin

• 1. DDz Quorum

Colin.

Check your PMs I reset your email ages ago and pm'd you (I know you will not have got the email yet though...;) but did think you'd see the new message alert!

If it is for hosting photos then I would recommend a host with php and MySQL support, and I'd use PixelPost as the site framework.

There are others but that is the only one I have so far found that doesn't generate multiple urls for each image, which is important because stats can be a nightmare if you have three or four download links per image.

It has a good range of plugins too, and a good variety of templates are available.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks for that Roger,

The Pixel Post looks like a gem, it looks very smart and will give the impression that I know what I am doing....scary for someone who might just be about to start out on my own !

• 1. DDz Quorum

need a bit more help please

I have created an account with 000webhost and am trying to get pixelhost to install but I am stumped as to what to do and how to go about it.

i have the install instructions, but can not get it to work

• 1. DDz Quorum

Use Cpanel to create a database (mySQL) and user.

Take note of what the names are, and password you create.

Assign all rights to user for database.

Upload extracted files from PixelPost zip (or if 000webhost support it use CPanel file manager to upload and then extract).

Then follow PixelPost install instructions, supplying Database name and user name/password when prompted.

I assume that 000WebHost have the mySQL database on same server, so you will enter localhost for server address.

Having not used 000WebHost that is the best I can do for now!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi roger,

i have done all of that, they dont want localhost used, its mysql2.000webhost.com

if i was to give you access, any chance of you having a quick look to where i am going wrong and just put me straight?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi roger,

i have done all of that, they dont want localhost used, its mysql2.000webhost.com

if i was to give you access, any chance of you having a quick look to where i am going wrong and just put me straight?

yup...pm sent