Wireless NIC problem

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Here's a little problem that's got me scratching my head - perhaps one of you techie types here can help. I currently have a BT Homehub v2.0 router handling my broadband connection, and my desktop connects to it via a Linksys WMP3000N wireless card, but...everytime I start the machine up, the card gives a 'limited or no connectivity' warning and will not connect to the internet until I run the 'repair' option from the system tray icon (it's fine from there on). I'm using the latest drivers for the card, there are no IRQ conflicts that I can see, oh, and this is the third card I have tried (3 different manufacturers too). Any one got any ideas? I'd like to get it sorted out as it's starting to get a little tiresome.

Oh, just a couple of other things, my 'spare' USB wireless NIC connects first time every time, and my wife's laptop pc also has no problems AND I'm on my second HH with the same issues...Dunno if this is significant.

~S~ Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

One of the vagaries of wireless in my experience.

I have a laptop (A PC World Emachines cheapy) that does the same with my Linksys router.

Are you using windows to manage the adapter, or are you using proprietary software - the Linksys utility?

I removed the Linksys utility on a desktop with the same issue, and let Windows manage the connection.

Been as good as gold since.

Same deal on the Laptop with it's built-in adapter, removed the software utility and it now connects first time after pressing the WLAN on button.

• 2. Administrators

Indeed, thanks for the comments Roger, I've tried with and without letting Windows 'manage' the connection, with much the same results on the other cards - I'm beginning to wonder whether it's just the way my PC does 'things'. I'll try removing the Linksys software tho' and report back.

Cheers

~S~ Jabo