LWD Open Days '06 (Pics)

TopAce

The reason I was away: airshow in our own little Dike-Country.

Still editting over 2000 pictures, I will post the nicest here in some stages/in some weeks time.

2 days of spotting and 2 days of airshow, with the highlight of the Blue Angels.

The BA are 'common' over the US, but rare in Europe. Last time they were in Holland was in 1964...

This is probably the first and last time I will ever see them.

1: Fat Albert doing a JATO take-off.

inet001.jpg

Yeah, great pic TopAce.

Read about a guy who bolted one of those rocket motors to the roof of his car.

When the cops found the wreckage, impact speed estimated at 300mph,

they thought it was the result of a plane crash. lol.

~S~ Klinger.

that's a Darwin Award urban legend. There's almost no way for someone to proberly mount one of those to the roof or any part of a car and have it remain mounted. A funny story though.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc1/jato3

Due to camera/harddisk issues, a little teaser for now.

More/other planes will come later.

2. Fat Albert take 2

Note the condence vortex behind engine number 3

[

Another beaut photo mate. Are you going to dole these out one at a time? :wink:

Are you going to dole these out one at a time? :wink:

That was the plan, max 3 pics per post.

This way I can keep the topic open and interesting for quite a while.

I am not planning to post the same plane and/or same shots over and over again, that's why Pic 2 is a teaser...

The 'problem' will be solved later on today probably, so expect more pics very soon.

Also, when I'm done with this tread, I have to edit my other pics from last year as well. The quality is not so good due to analog camera, but the shots will be very, very interesting...

I'm not gonna say more, just stay tuned ;)

I love seeing JATO assist C130. I just watch a Discovery channel show about the SKI BIRDS. They supply the Greenland and South Pole science stations.

Way Cool!!

Sometimes the JATO comes of its mount and punches through the wing. :shock: Scary!!

We need more !!!! :D

You get more then...

Could not stand it, 4 this time. All pics are arrivals of the first day. The weather was not very great, just good enough to take pictures.

3. NF-5B Tiger, Turkisch Airforce

This one is ex-KLu (Dutch Airforce)

inet003.jpg

4. Hunter T.68, private owned

inet004.jpg

5. Alpha Jet, Portugees Air Display Team

inet005.jpg

6. F-15E Strike Eagle, from Lakenheath

(Talking about a perfect shot...)

inet006.jpg

Ouch!! Gees that thing dropped out of the air fast when the forward speed was washed off. A test I take it?

Details... (sorry will stop spamming yer thread now.)

Operation Credible Sport was a United States military operation plan in late 1980 to rescue the hostages held on American soil in Iran using C-130 cargo planes modified with rocket engines. The Credible Sport operation was to follow the dramatic failure of Operation Eagle Claw in which a C-130 Hercules and a Sea Stallion helicopter collided in the Iranian desert, killing 8 servicemen. Credible Sport was abandoned after the election of Ronald Reagan as President in November, 1980.

The Credible Sport plan called for highly modified C-130 Hercules cargo planes to land in a soccer stadium not far from the American Embassy in Teheran and airlift the hostages out. Three aircraft were modified under a top secret project at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida to YMC-130H configuration with rocket packages blistered onto the forward and aft fuselage, which theoretically enabled the planes to land and take off within the confines of the sports arena.

During a demonstration at Duke Field, Eglin Auxiliary Field 3, on October 29, 1980, one of the modified Hercules fired its braking rockets a few seconds early. The aircraft suffered an extremely heavy landing, tearing off the starboard wing, setting off a fire, and resulting in the airframe, serial 74-1683, being written off. Despite this, the entire crew survived.

This failure, coupled with the defeat of Jimmy Carter by Ronald Reagan in the presidential election on November 4, 1980, led to the cancellation of this rescue mission plan. The hostages were subsequently released concurrent with Reagan's inauguration in January 1981.

* Footage of the crash landing at Duke Field has become publicly available in recent years, sourced from a United States Air Force briefing film.

* Duke Field was the location for much of the filming of the "918th Bomb Group's" flightline and story action in the 1949 film Twelve O' Clock High starring Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger, who won an Academy Award for his performance. This airfield, which is not open to the public, has also been used by the Central Intelligence Agency for covert operations into the 1990s.

* One of the test pilots during the Credible Sport program elaborated on the test failure, the test with the footage now available. The pilot states that during the test the braking rockets did NOT fire prematurely, but right on time. It was the descent-arresting rockets, rockets that were supposed to fire after the braking rockets to slow the drop of the aircraft as the aircraft's forward velocity was halted and the wings ceased to provide lift that failed to fire. Looking at the video, it would appear that the braking rockets should be fired after the airplane touched down to quickly stop the landing roll. However, the braking rockets were supposed to be fired while in the air, then the descent arresting rockets would fire to allow a controllable and almost vertical landing. It was these rockets that failed, with the crash landing and aircraft breakup resulting.

From here (full details)

http://crediblesport.quickseek.com/