IL2 Sticks and my X52

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Having been looking at Darts training videos during the week I decided to modify my rudder setting. I currently fly with all 100's and do sometimes find it "twitchy" on straffing and bombing runs. Dart explains in his videos that you should not use the rudder at all on approach to such attacks.

The upshot of this is that I used IL2Sticks to change my rudder setting to a smooth curve. I updated the conf.ini file and left it at that.

Last night (Thursday) I settled into to the much looked forward to session, only to find that both the rotary dials on the throttle were not working.

Klinger very kindly agreed to help sort it out and I must appologise for taking up his valuable flying time.

The dials worked OK via the Control Panel/Game devices/properties. But when in the HOTAS section of the in-game controls set-up, I could click on a field e.g prop pitch but then turning the rotary gave no response. The other inputs were recognozed, throttle and flaps on the slider.

I re-booted - same problem

I unplugged and re-plugged the x52 - same problem

I removed the stick via the device manager and re-installed it - same problem

I had a look at the conf.ini file and found that there was a blank line between the settings for the rotarys and the other input axis. I took out the line (one assumes put there by il2sticks for some reason?) the dials then worked.......but the joystick buttons did'nt.

Having first made a back-up of my profile, I uninstalled the sst software and tried to re-install it.

Put the cd in but nothing happened.

Downloaded the files form the saitek website, still nothing installed.

Ran a registry cleaner and removed all entries for Saitek

Tried again with the install of drivers and sst software.

This time it all went ok and the X52 is now fully functional.

Any one else tried using il2sticks when the x52 is plugged in?

• 2 weeks later...

I use IL2 Joy controll, as it's more detailed and flexible, but I've never had such a problem. I am probably jaded, but I've been using saitek sticks for years and have always had trouble with thier drivers; in short, they suck. I don't know if this has any bearing on your trouble but I have found that you can't leave your sticks plugged in when you start or re-start your computer, the frickin' things never work right and usually cause trouble with other programs, but if you wait untill the machine settles down and everythig is loaded, all is fine. I have found this to be true with several stick-machine combinations over several years with all sorts of drivers. (except for Hunter82's wonderful x36 drivers)