heading calculator / info required

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

without me looking does anyone know the largest map/grid ie a-z by 1-20

i am embarking on a project to make a headings calculator.

my idea being you set the starting grid ref and the destination grid ref and you get the heading back.

i am thinking about this as a paper/card wheel. you dial in the two points and the heading is displayed.

all this may be futile but it has got me thinking at the moment. (until someone tells me i am wasting my time!)

my idea is based on a right-angle triangle. the east/west leg is one side, north/south leg is the other.

i am planning to calculate the steps from grid to grid i.e 4 across and 3 up to get from a1 to e4.

this gives a right triangle. i compute the angle and get the heading.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? am i wasting my time?

You are not wasting your time!

Back in the early seventies when I was flying a lot in light aircraft, I worked at an Advertising Agency. One of the guys in our Creative Art Department made me up a compass with an arrow arrangement fixed with a pin and which rotated around the compass. I used it when approaching an airport since it gave me a visual on everything I needed to know. For example, I could dial in my present heading and could see where I was in relation to the active runway. It also gave me the reciprocal for the runway (down wind leg) and the other two 90 degree headings for crosswind and base legs.

After I got it, I never flew without it.

Despite what jensenpoon and Arse say about me, I am more than just a pretty face. :wink: