Bbc Man Alive | The Few - 501 Squadron At Raf Kenley 1969

BluBear

I'm a little over half way through watching this little gem of a film from the BBC archives of 1969.

Unfortunately, I fear it may only be viewed this side of the pond, but by all means give it a go!

Here's the synopsis:

At a reunion of No. 501 Squadron at RAF Kenley, surviving Battle of Britain pilots gather to swap stories and recall the events of 1940. The 'Man Alive' team also visit some of the squadron members at their current homes and places of work to find out whether being part of such an elite band of men has had a lasting effect on their lives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/battleofbritain/11401.shtml

I've seen this before.  In fact I think I posted it here a few years back when I discovered the BBC site has that fantastic archive of material.

They like to keep it well hidden don't they?

As to the doco; I thought it was really fascinating, especially having two Polish AF Colonels turn up!  Interesting attitude that some of these vets had to the bob twenty-nine years after the event too.  The other thing that struck me was how old they all looked.  Most of them were around fifty years of age when this was filmed - the same age as I am now (ish) - but they seem to look at least ten years older than that.  

I think it can be seen overseas as this is a purely BBC production too.  One last thing; the theme music - ah memories! :thumbsu:

I've seen this before.  In fact I think I posted it here a few years back when I discovered the BBC site has that fantastic archive of material.

They like to keep it well hidden don't they?

As to the doco; I thought it was really fascinating, especially having two Polish AF Colonels turn up!  Interesting attitude that some of these vets had to the bob twenty-nine years after the event too.  The other thing that struck me was how old they all looked.  Most of them were around fifty years of age when this was filmed - the same age as I am now (ish) - but they seem to look at least ten years older than that.  

I think it can be seen overseas as this is a purely BBC production too.  One last thing; the theme music - ah memories! :thumbsu:

I must have missed that first time round Arthur!

It's not just me that thought they looked a little 'used' at 50 odd then, haha!

Talking to one of the Polish Colonels about the difference in attitude between his fellow countrymen and us brits when they arrived. 'I hated the Germans, in fact I still do'.  :o