Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger Face Book

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just thought I'd share this about one of their spitfires..

"TA805 was involved in a landing incident today at Biggin Hill, the aircraft drifted off the runway on to the grass which is unfortunately still very soft from the winter's heavy rain. 805 tipped up onto its nose suffering damage to the propeller. The pilot is unhurt, shaken but not stirred. The aircraft is safely back in the hangar and will be airworthy as soon as possible."

Apparently she'll be back in air in no time at all. Combination of soft ground, low rpm and wooden blades mean the merlin is unlikely to be shock loaded. Therefore it's just the considerable expense of a new set of blades…

Also, the silver lining to this is that her sister Spitfire, MK912 has taken her place at DX this weekend. It's the aircraft I modelled my 1/6th scale rc model on and I believe will be it's first appearance at duxford since it left for Canada 10 years ago. Happy Chris :)

• 2. Administrators

Excellent news that '805 is unlikely to be badly damaged and the news that I'm likely to see a Spit I've never seen before tomorrow is pretty darn good too!