Rig Evolution

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Continuing my plan of evolving my gaming rig as funds are available - I think it's time for a new CPU/Mainboard.

I'm considering this;

CP-418-IN_60.jpgIntel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM

MB-514-AS_60.jpgAsus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Any Suggestions?

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Well, I was thinking of something more along the lines of chucking the CPU on ebay where they're still commanding a decent price (it's the last version of the Core 2 Quad before the world went 'bridge crazy) and flog board, cpu cooler and memory. Which should just about fail to cover the cost of the upgrade. Unless someone wants to make me an offer for the lot that is...

Here's what is moving on.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 + stock cooler

Asus Triton 85 Cooler - this is an absolute frickin' beast - I'm getting core temps of 40degC under max load at the stock 3GHz

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 mainboard

6GB DDR2 (2 x 2GB, 2 x 1GB) - can't remember the make, but they're matched,

Interested?

Jabo

P.S. Sorry, the the GTX580 is not for sale...

P.P.S. I also have a Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz + stock cooler up for sale too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Oh my giddy aunt.

Ok, in the end I went for an i5-2500K purely because (if I want) it can be overclocked further than the ivybridge 3570 with a good old fashioned air-cooled set-up. I also picked up the board as detailed above.

Having set the whole thing up (twice - the first attempt was fubar) I tentatively pushed the auto-overclock button in the windows application - it asked me whether I wanted 'fast' or 'extreme' settings. I opted for 'fast' on the basis that I didn't know if the kit would manage 'extreme' overclocking. The whole thing went away and thought for a bit before restarting the machine and once I was back into windows presented me with the information that the CPU was now clocking at over 4.3GHz!!! More than 1GHz faster than the stock clock speed!!!

post-406-0-49097100-1345844501_thumb.jpg

Man, that's frickin' awesome!

Jabo